PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My go-to Virginia is red Virginia, specifically McCranie's Owner's Choice. Mr. Trent introduced me to this fabulous tobacco back in the 1990s, and in an all-to-rare moment of prescience I determined then and there to purchase as much of it as possible against the day (which sadly came with the demise of the McClelland Tobacco Company) when it might no longer be available.

It wears well.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
For me, the sweetest virginias are the red virginias.
They can also be a little bitey if pushed too hard.

My personal favorite is Robert McConnell Red Virginia (which contains a tiny amount of perique, but thus doesn't get in the way). C and D also makes a Red Virginia, but I prefer McConnell's. Cheers!
I've not tried many Red Virginia forward blends but from my limited experience, Red Virginia improves significantly from ageing.
Aj's Vaper I did not like fresh so it was jarred and forgotten.
What a pleasant surprise it was when I tried a bowl 3-4 years later.
Now it's my favourite non-aromatic.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
For me, the sweetest virginias are the red virginias.
They can also be a little bitey if pushed too hard.

My personal favorite is Robert McConnell Red Virginia (which contains a tiny amount of perique, but thus doesn't get in the way). C and D also makes a Red Virginia, but I prefer McConnell's. Cheers!
I would agree OldWill, red Virginia's being the sweetest.

I think I'll order me some McConnel Red Va, thanks for the info'.

Reactions: OldWill and AJL67

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Gentlemen, be careful of the bite due to high sugar content. My preferred pipe for this one is a church warden or semi church warden to help cool the smoke, but if you dry it well and smoke very slowly, it will give you a sweet, satisfying smoke.
Many Virginia blends contain smaller amounts of the red, and there are other Virginia's in this one, too, but here the "red is the star". Cheers!

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Gentlemen, be careful of the bite due to high sugar content. My preferred pipe for this one is a church warden or semi church warden to help cool the smoke, but if you dry it well and smoke very slowly, it will give you a sweet, satisfying smoke.
Many Virginia blends contain smaller amounts of the red, and there are other Virginia's in this one, too, but here the "red is the star". Cheers!
Appreciate the heads-up, OldWill. I've got 2 tins ordered and on their way.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Any of the old Mcclelland straight Virginias for me. 5100, 40th, Xmas, brown labels. Otherwise I like the wessex or eso virginias. They are nicely aged.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Just curious and didn’t want to start a new thread, im full on in the Virginias now, i have some FVF and some of the Orik coming, i like the Mac Baren Number 1, can anyone point me to some of the sweeter straight Virginias, i love that sweetness but don’t want to go into the goopy aros.

Great information here but really looking for things that are currently available and align with my tastes.

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day you amazing people and even you that aren’t so amazing, you know who you are, ‘nuff said. ?
Capstan Blue is quite sweet. Sweeter still is Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, but that’s not always available (and sells out quick when it is). If you don’t mind a little perique, Rattray’s Marlin Flake is also on the sweeter side (but also not always available).

Reactions: Servant King

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Th
Capstan Blue is quite sweet. Sweeter still is Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, but that’s not always available (and sells out quick when it is). If you don’t mind a little perique, Rattray’s Marlin Flake is also on the sweeter side (but also not always available).
Thank you I’ll have to keep an eye out for the Wessex, i did just get one tin of the Capstan Blue (arrived today) so I’ll be trying that next, right now I’m enjoying some of the McConnell Red Virginia which is also quite good.

i went semi-deep on the Marlin Flake, i enjoy it but don’t find it all that sweet so far, but a very enjoyable Virginia.

While everyone’s mileage may vary i appreciate all of the feedback in this thread, so much better than relying on 10 yr old reviews or people upset at limited availability lol

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
For currently available VAs, my go-tos are
  • Opening Night
  • HH Pure VA
  • Newminster 400
    (Disclaimer: this one is pretty heavily topped with caramel sauce)
I'll give an honorable mention to Capstan Blue. It's very good in its unique way. I don't reach for it as much as the above, but I want to keep it around.

One which I still can't decide about is Union Square. I keep having mixed experiences with it. When it's good, it's amazing, and definitely earns a place among my very favorites. But when it's not working for me... it really isn't working for me. For me it's finicky, so the jury is still out.