Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I was just going to put up another addition to the "what are you smoking" thread, but I am curious...This is the first pipe I ever bought. It's marked European Selection, Italy. Paid $20 for it new over 25 years ago, back when we had a pipe shop in the local mall. How many of you still have your first pipe, when did you buy it, and do you still smoke it? In the bowl this morning, some G&H Brown Irish X. 0419210720.jpg

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My first purchased pipe this time around was a MM Carolina Gent (nose watmer). The next was an author shaped Kaywoodie 13b, the next a Freehand MM cob, and yesterday another author and an original design MM Freehand.

These pipe are those that I will definately use because they are comfortable to hold.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
My first pipe was a basket freehand by Alpha, I still have it though it's reserved for cherry aromatics. Second pipe was an unfinished Nording freehand that I'm pretty sure I still have but haven't seen since my last move, its probably in the same box as my Boswell and my college ring, third was an Ashton Old Church 2x bent bulldog that I smoked some Balkan Sasieni a week ago.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
My first pipe was a basket freehand by Alpha, I still have it though it's reserved for cherry aromatics. Second pipe was an unfinished Nording freehand that I'm pretty sure I still have but haven't seen since my last move, its probably in the same box as my Boswell and my college ring, third was an Ashton Old Church 2x bent bulldog that I smoked some Balkan Sasieni a week ago.
Back when I first got this I smoked a lot of the CVS cherry cavendish through it....a tobacco I choose to keep fond memories of rather than try and see if I can find/enjoy something similar these days. lol Aros have not been my thing in years. I have tried a few, none that really were interesting enough to buy a 2nd time.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
My first pipe was a practice one I bought from local general store. I had read some ways to break pipes in, and I didn't want to buy an expensive one and then mess things up. And of course, I didn't know if the smoking was for me, after all. So I bought a bent rusticated thing, where it reads rather suspiciously "Real Briar". Nowadays I never smoke it. It wasn't too bad, after all, but not too good, either. And now and then it tasted a bit scarred plastic. Maybe some burning bits ended up into the stem...

My first serious one was Peterson Irish Made Army 86. It's still propably my favourite one.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
An overpriced no-name briar from the basket at a local tobacconist, I hate it and it hates me even more. I only keep it for old times sake and sometimes use it for strong aromatics, which I rarely smoke. My second pipe, however, is what really got me into smoking and is still frequently used - a Vauen 5777. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first pipe was bought at Tinder Box at the largest local (Raleigh, N.C.) mall at the time, but the Tinder Box moved to another nearby city (Durham, N.C.) years ago. I think I bought it about 1978 or thereabouts. It is stamped The Tinder Box St. Ives, and is a full-bent smooth light walnut stained pot with a unique vertical saddle stem. Despite my somewhat transient early adult life, it is something I kept, including during a long spell of not smoking. It still looks good and smokes well. After I joined Forums, I got in touch with Tinder Box to see if they knew the sourcing on the pipe, and it is likely a French pipe, perhaps a Chacom.