PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Right now mine is one that Harris (cigrmaster) suggested, the "carburetor" method, which is to cover your pipe with your fingers when drawing in to avoid excessive relighting. Thanks Harris, I use that all the time now and it's been working great. :puffy:

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Mine is to help a new pipe get a good cake start. Put your hand over the bowl after you have smoked your new pipe a bit. Shake so the ash covers the inside of the bowl. I do this with all new pipes. Don't know that it helps, but I do know that my pipes begin to cake pretty quickly after that.

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
One of the things I was told when I first started was to breath out through the pipe periodicaly, just slightly not enough to blow the bowl. Suppose to help keep moisture back and the bowl lit. I don't do it all the time, but it seems to help with certain tobaccos and pipes.

Aug 14, 2012
Regarding drawing in, as six mentions, it is more effective to put a tamper over the burning tobacco, than to cover the bowl. My tip is for when you are breaking in a pipe. You want to get a carbon coating on the bottom of the bowl, but lets face it that part doesn't taste so good. An alternative is to blow through the bow, and finish the smoke that way while sparing the mouth & stomach.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
The most helpful for me was to emty the ash occasionally to reduce relighting. Also, using a light touch while tamping the ash.

Jan 8, 2013
I can't remember who did the video. But I think I saw it on Youtube, and the guy put the tobacco in his palm and then placed the bowl over it, and rubbed the pipe in a circular motion, thus filling his pipe. I've had some great smokes after trying that.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I can't remember who did the video. But I think I saw it on Youtube, and the guy put the tobacco in his palm and then placed the bowl over it, and rubbed the pipe in a circular motion, thus filling his pipe. I've had some great smokes after trying that.
Yeah hes a stuffy British type guy but seems kind of cool. I tried his packing method and it kind of worked out ok. Maybe I need a little more practice at that one. I am a stuff and puff mixed with a little frank method kind of packer. I dont take my tobacco out of the pouch and pinch it to pack my bowl this works fine for me. All this fancy packing for pipes is hyped up IMO. Just pack it, light it, and enjoy it :)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That is a very good tip - here's the video you're speaking of (he is with James Fox in Dublin - who btw have good prices on Peterson pipes, even with the extra shipping):
watch

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
+1 rothnh, Patience and persistance...
With a whole lot of the former and a good dose of the latter, any new pipe smoker will go on their journey to a brilliant smoke. Sometimes it'll be frustrating, and sometimes you'll say "wtf am i doing wrong?" But eventually it will all sort itself out as you learn your own way and you will be a happy man/woman for it.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
"Right now mine is one that Harris (cigrmaster) suggested, the "carburetor" method, which is to cover your pipe with your fingers when drawing in to avoid excessive relighting. Thanks Harris, I use that all the time now and it's been working great."
+1 I've used this so many times since it was mentioned a few months ago, it has saved so many relights, my zippo is grateful .

Jan 8, 2013
I use the carburetor method as well, and I'm pretty sure I got the idea from the same as the others who posted above me. Great tip.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I am not certain this is the way to say it, but the tip is "less than you think."
Smoke tobacco drier than you think you should.

Pack it looser than you think you should.

Smoke it slower than you think you should.

Tamp it less often than you think you should.

Tamp it more lightly than you think you should.
anthony

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
New smokers: buy clean estate pipes (ie: from reputable vendors vs EBay 'project' pipes). You will get twice the pipe for your money, already broken in, and have a much more enjoyable experience. You will really taste and enjoy your favorite blends.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Buy quality pipes and take your time breaking them in. Keep them clean and give them several days rest.

Take care of them and you will still be enjoying them 40 or 50 years from now.
The "carburetor" technique is an old trick that I learned back in the early 1960's. I took it for granted that most pipe smokers knew about it.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
As a new pipe smoker, who came into this thread to pickup tips rather than leave one, I really like the "less than you think" tip. I think it will help me to have more consistantly good smokes as I try to get the feel for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.