PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I want to know what blends didn't live up to your expectation. These are not necessarily bad blends, but just wasn't quite as great as you thought they would be. For me it would be McClelland's Three Oak Syrian; I've heard so many good things about Syrian latakia that I thought this is gonna be amazing, but in reality I enjoyed it, just not as much as I had hoped.
Also what blends exceeded your expectation? In my case: C&D Da Vinci.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
McClelland's Rose of Latakia I found to be disappointingly lacking in actual latakia...I really love G.L. Pease's Embarcadero, I grew up in southwest VA, and it tastes almost exactly like the first thing I ever smoked, which was a (poorly)hand rolled cigar my friend and I made from tobacco we stole from his Dad's barn.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Stonehaven an Penzance Finally bought a few bags of each an some tins. Sold all of them. Like you said not a bad blend just not my thing.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Dunhill Nightcap was really disappointing. Penzance a close second.

Mar 1, 2014
I bought one tin of Haddo's Delight and it was almost completely dry when I opened it, which for an aromatic means it was pretty much worthless.

Then a while later I tried a tin of Low Country Black, which was supposed to be an aromatic Latakia blend, but again was too dry to have any topping left.
Packing problems aside, there was the first three samples of McClelland Virginia blends that didn't have any tang to them at all, and I didn't particularly like the Burlry based Latakia blends from C&D (Atlas Balkan and Mountain Camp), but after trying perique in Carter Hall and absolutely loving it I have high hopes that the Perique in my Burley blends just needs a bit of age to sweeten up (I also moistened the tobacco to help things along a bit).

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Classic Burley Kake

Penzance

Dunhill Nightcap

Middleton's Walnut

Middleton's Kentucky Club Mild

Middleton's Cherry Blend

McClelland 2015

Angler's Dream

Full Virginia Flake

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake
A well made blend, I just expected something far different from a advertised Va/Per. There was no mention of the fabled "Lakeland" flavor. There is a mention of Tonquin Bean but Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake(with tonquin) and this does not taste the same at all. I felt like I smoked some potpourri! And it ghosted a pipe so much I sold it on eBay.
Life is a learning lesson and that one I wont have to learn again. One whiff and I know not to touch anything like it.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Disappointing: Classic Burley Kake (the flavoring doesn't agree with me), Solani ABF (I prefer the Wessex Burley Slices any day)
Surprising: Royal Yacht, Peterson Irish Oak, Shortcut to Mushrooms

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
From the description I thought I'd really like Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2015 so I ordered 2 tins. Didn't like it at all. I still have one in the cellar.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Not bad blends, but didn't live up to my expectations:

Mac Baren ODF

Wessex BCDF

GLP Cumberland

McClelland Royal Cajun Dark

H&H Virginia Spice

Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

C&D Kajun Kake
Surprised me by exceeding expectations:

Butera Matured Ribbon

McClelland No. 24 (now a favorite)

McClelland Tudor Castle (ditto)

McClelland Classic Samsun

McClelland Black Shag
Interesting to write this out and see that McClelland is the blender of every single blend that gave me a pleasant surprise! With Wessex underwhelming the most. Now I just try to go into things without many expectations, high or low.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
None I enjoy any tobacco I have had some meh's but nothing I can claim was a complete disappointment....but if I had to pick one it would be.... Nope I got nothing I really enjoy tobacco and the different variations that are out there. :puffy:

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Both excellent, and more similar than one might think. It's those crazy sun-drenched Virginias.
I would agree. I like to describe them as VA's that smoke like a Burley. I suspect that's why I like them, but didn't expect to.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
PS Bulls Eye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake.
They are good blends and certainly have a following. But, for some reason, just didn't trip my trigger enough to re-order.

Status
Not open for further replies.