PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve got enough to last me at least 40 years at my current smoking rate, so I guess I’ll run out when I’m 87.

My primary goal was to put away decent supplies of blends I really liked in case they were discontinued. Aging is a nice coincidence. I still buy the occasional special release that interests me, and a few tins here and there to go deeper on blends that are favorites. Lately I’ve been trying a few KBV blends, but I’m not going to cellar large amounts even though I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve tried.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I average 4 bowls a week, so my 2-3lbs will last me a few years.
I figure if I run out, I can always chop up some of my cigars !

You guys with your 100s lbs cellars break me up.

Then I look at my wine cellar with several thousand bottles ?
AND I'm a social drinker ! ?
I usually go through a pound or more per month. More in winter for some reason.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I average 4 bowls a week, so my 2-3lbs will last me a few years.
I figure if I run out, I can always chop up some of my cigars !

You guys with your 100s lbs cellars break me up.

Then I look at my wine cellar with several thousand bottles ?
AND I'm a social drinker ! ?
I've had this discussion with a number of pipe smokers, including jiminks, who is a prodigious consumer of tobacco. My cellar is smaller, but so is my rate of consumption, so when that is factored in, we're pretty equal.
A 400 lb cellar would last me a century. I figure I'm good for 15 to 20 years without buying another strand of tobacco.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I usually go through a pound or more per month. More in winter for some reason.
As things age, they undergo change. Initially the rough(er) edges get smoothed out, reach their peak, and then they start their senescence.

When I first started smoking pipes in the '70s, I was an impoverished student subsisting on a meagre allowance from my parents. So it was one tobacco pouch at a time. Even when I started work, 2 blends was the max at any one time. Collating tobacco was not something I'd even heard of.

When I started earning a regular income, most of my discretionary money went into my wine cellar. I thought it was cool to open aged bottles, so I built up a cellar of age-worthy wines, as well as buying already aged wines at auctions.
Guess what ? I no longer think that moribund wines represent the pinnacle of wine drinking. Increasingly I find myself wishing I'd opened bottles years, if not a decade or two earlier. Yes, I've had great bottles when they were 50yrs or older (even well over 100yo) when drunk. But those were rare and exceptional bottles.

With tobacco, the oldest examples I have are cigars from the '80s. I look forward to smoking them with some trepidation. That I have not done so already is because I have a foreboding of disappointment that those sticks (including a couple of Dunhill Havanna Esplendidos) should have been lit a couple of decades earlier

Last edited:

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Nice try ATF.
Answering for a "friend." ;) About 96 pounds (spreadsheet tracked). Based on a couple tins a month max this plus another 10-20 pounds should do me well into my 90's. Deeming scares, blend market losses, blend changes, blend scarcity all played a part in feeding a somewhat addictive personality. Still... tried cellaring with both "minimal change" or "positive changes" in mind. A few readily available examples:
Capstan Blue and PS Luxury Bullseye Flake age very well with great changes over many years.
Old Dark Fired on the other hand 2012 tins taste little different than fresh which is good.
So going deep on those and others sampled aged and fresh seems like reasonable planning.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Well surprisingly, when I pause and think about it I've got much more than I thought - as I am always thinking tins and not pounds.

I actually have close to 20 # now that I have paid closer attention.

Since I'm still in that exploring phase, 90% of that is wiiiide and very shallow. I have 2-10 tins each of some fav's, but nearly all tins are unique blends for my exploration desires.

Probably won't do it like this forever but I'm having fun now trying so many different ones. Of course I find that some aren't what I'm wanting - at the moment. But it's very true that when the mood, weather, food, beverage or star alignment change, that I'm often found enjoying a blend that wasn't so great the last time.

And considering I've found myself in the camp of preferring "drier" tobacco, most of them are easier to combust in my little hand-held fireplace than the 1st time I tried them anyway.

Cheers

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have just under 60 lbs. Lots of variety but also deep where it needs to be. I have the Arborea app as well and I use it near daily. It is a great tool. I can extract my app details to an Excell sheet at any time

Reactions: Carol

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Much of my cellar is still in storage since a recent move (still looking for a house to buy) but I'd guess it's 25-30 lbs.

My primary goals are: 1. To get to the point where I have a good supply of well-aged blends, especially the Va/VaPers I like to smoke.

2. To squirrel away a decent supply of one time, special release blends that I like.

3. To buy when Tobacco is cheap. As has been said in this forum many times, it will never be as cheap as it is right now, and prices have been creeping up since I started building a cellar.