Your Cellar Size

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

400 +, my strategy was a $300 a month tobacco budget for the last ten years or so. There have been very few tobaccos that I didn't like, so I just buy pounds at a time. I don't understand the whole, what if I don't like it crap, try a few oz first, or the one that makes me sad for you, ask my wife. Phhhht. Sometimes you just gotta go balls deep, or go home.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Your question made me think about this subject... which I don't normally do.

I usually smoke 3-4 bowls daily, which is about two tins, or 3.5 oz/ 100g, per week.

Currently, I've got around 50 tins and about 20, 40 oz jars tucked away. Roughly about 7 lbs I think, not including the stuff I've got open and working through. Always trying to grow my cellar though.
My situation is basically the same as yours

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hello everyone, just curious if you had to guess, how many ounces/pounds of tobacco do you have cellared? Did you have a strategy behind that amount? Just thinking about my own cellar and how much I want to have set aside in case prices get ridiculous. Thanks for any input.
Too dang small !

I've started to keep anywhere from 2-10 of my "favorites" on hand, but those favorites may change as I'm still working my way through a big exploratory phase. I have nearly 130 different blends in tins yet to try. puffy

I'm finding that I like quality tobacco.

So far, most of them are good, simply different from one another.

When I was on a craft beer kick I found that it was rare to find something I didn't like; some I simply liked more than others. That "kick" eventually phizzled / fizzled out though... I hope the same doesn't happen with my pipe "kick".

But I know where to go to find appropriate recipients should that unlikely event occur.

?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Definitely more than enough…I’m 48 coming up. So, like many here I need not buy anything more. However, it tough if you wanna play the game and try new stuff without leaving a war chest behind for the kids to throw away. ?‍♂️

So now, I’m selling/trading off what I’ve got doubles & triples of for other opportunities down the road. IPSD coming ??☕

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Definitely more than enough…I’m 48 coming up. So, like many here I need not buy anything more. However, it tough if you wanna play the game and try new stuff without leaving a war chest behind for the kids to throw away. ?‍♂️

So now, I’m selling/trading off what I’ve got doubles & triples of for other opportunities down the road. IPSD coming ??☕
I am fortunate that my boys smoke pipes. My stash will be passed on.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm starting to cellar, I have now about 2.5 kgs of 2 blends I like and about a kilo of blends I still have to try. My buying strategy is more on what I like now, to have it now and for the future. I steer to classic and time-tested blends instead of buy it now or get FOMO, i think that can also be a factor when considering cellaring. If I smoke a tin of one of those blends I'll just restock. I smoke 8 to 10 bowls a week time average 3 grams a bowl, max 520 bowls a year at average 3 to 4 grams makes 1.5 to 2 kgs a year. My smoking pace in pipes may vary with cigars I sometimes crave.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Not much, about 30 pieces (tins/tubs/jars/pouches). I don't want to do the same as with books. I have so many unread. I see them and think: "Will I read them before... ?".
I wonder if many of the tobaccos you think you will love forever you eventually change and sell later. Or yeah you realize you won’t ever get around to smoking it. Plus I just like buying new things so I can’t imagine being “done” shopping for 15 years because new great things are coming down the pipeline.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have over 200 pounds which should last me over 20 years and keep me smoking for over 20 years of smoking.. I have plenty of years smoking . I don't plan on over most plenty of running out any time soon.
I smoke around 10-12 pounds of smoking per year. I doubt I will last 20 years so I should be good to go. If I last 10 years it will be a miracle if I make it to 70.

I don’t want to maintain a huge cellar. I wanted to keep it between 45 - 50 pounds.

After it reached 50, my strategy is to only buy limited editions and tobacco which I bought 1-2 tins originally, and now want to go deep. Or fun experiments.

Despite reduction in my buying it has still grown to 56 pounds. So I am trying to slow down even further. At my current rate of smoking 56 pounds will last at least 15-18 years.

Finally … I cellar because

1. I want to age my own blends
2. I want to keep a few favorites handy in case they go away
3. It was fun looking into the colorful tins. Now that I have a lot, I have grown out of it

I don’t cellar due to price - i.e. I don’t believe tobacco will cost more in the future after accounting for inflation, return on investment, opportunity cost and buying only immediate needs.

Earlier I used to smoke about 5 pounds a year, but now my smoking has reduced and I am currently smoking about 3.5 pounds per year.

Last edited: