Feb 11, 2010
So what's your #1 blend in the following categories:
VaPer
English
Straight VA
Aromatic
Desert Island
So far mine are
PS Navy Flake. Low rent I know. But I've tried many of the "Big Boys" and this one still wins. G&H Louisiana Flake is a close 2nd.
Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard: I'm going steady with this one right now and we might get engaged.
Blackwoods Flake: The best I've had yet but not an OMG blend. I like pop hooks in my music and am finding I like a little something sweet in my pipe. Vas in their own don't hit me as sweet. They can sweeten something else. But on their own I just haven't felt the music
Ennerdale Flake: wow this is good. I can't explain it but good nonetheless.
Bob's Chocolate Flake: This is my tip top. Hit's all the right notes and covers the bases well. It's Donny and Marie. A little bit country and little rock and roll. Soem nice VA, a little burley and a nice dash of latakia.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Vaper: H&H's Louisiana Red for the bright taste, but currently warming up to PS flakes)

English: (don't do the Latakia thing anymore)

Oriental: McClelland Classic Samsun (since John Cotton's Smyrna is gone)

Va: McClelland 22, 27, 5100 -- depends on how deeply I want to go)

Aromatic: Dan Cherry Bomb (a rare indulgence)

Desert Island: P.A.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Don't smoke Va/per

English: McCellands 5110

Straight Va: FVF

Aromatic: Black XX or Black Irish Twist (are they really aro's?)

Desert island: Black XX or Black Irish Twist

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
VaPer: (never tried it)
English: Dunhill 965 (when I could get it), Dunhill Breakfast Blend "blue tin" (I think that is what it was called). Now I buy in bulk, Early Morning Pipe, and 925.
Straight VA: none, I have Escudo "Navy De Luxe", and Sasieni "Balkan". Both have Va tobaccos in them.
Aromatic: 1Q, Bakalava, Black Cherry, and several others.
Desert Island: Never been on one. But, would need endless supply of various tobaccos and martini supplies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Of late I am almost exclusively a smoker of various English blends. English luxury being my present favorite. I have a nice mix of tobaccos ordered and maybe then I can respond to the other categories.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Lawrence, Escudo is the VaPer according to many.
Is there really such thing as a desert island? I mean if it's an island it's surrounded by water. How's that work?

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
VaPer: N/A
English: Boswell's Northwoods, Old Dublin
Straight VA: HH Mature Virginia, but not often.
Aromatic: Boswell's Bear Blend, Boswell's Best, and 1Q
Desert Island: Northwoods, Bear Blend, and 3 ice cubes and as much 15 year Dalwhinnie scotch as I can carry with me.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Lawrence... I didn't bust you, Jones caught it!
I was too busy daydreaming about being on an island with nothing but my pipes, favorite tobacco and lots of scotch to notice.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
JC
You're clearly a Boswells lover. I knew you snoked a good bit or Northwoods, but you're obviously fan of the aros too.
It's kinda funny I see Bosells mentioned a lot on the "hipster piper" youtube vids. Seems a lot of young pipe smokers really dig on Boswells. Especially Blueberry Cobbler which looks to be nearly a cult blend with a certain segment.
I've read most of the tobaccoreviews of Boswell blends and I've been to their website made up a my mind as to an order and then...never quite pull the trigger.
So really,...that good huh?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
VaPer : Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

English: Dunhill Nightcap

Virginia: Samuel Gawith FVF

Aromatic: Lane 1Q

Desert Island: Bullseye Flake and a very large barrel of rum.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah Jones… A couple of Boswell’s blends are my current favorites. I’m relatively new to English blends and so far I enjoy Old Dublin, Irish Flake, and 3 Oaks once in awhile. I’ve been sampling different bulk tobaccos because I simply prefer loading my pipe out of a pouch rather than a tin when I stumbled onto Boswell’s website and thought I would give several of their blends a try and so far I like three.
Boswell’s Best is a very mild and easy to smoke aro reminds me a little of Lanes 1Q, I enjoy it when I’m working with my hands and my pipe is clenched in my teeth and not coming out for awhile. Northwoods is currently my favorite English, loads of flavor, not too harsh, and burns like a dream. A couple reviewers on tobaccoreviews.com compared it to Dunhill’s Nightcap, but I never had the pleasure of smoking Nightcap so I wouldn’t know. I think what I like is the way the Black Cavendish and Latakia work together. Now the real surprise for me was Bear Blend, you see I have never until now smoked anything with the word cherry or any berry for that matter used in its description that I have liked. In fact it’s safe to say I hate cherry blends, well until now, I love this stuff. J.M. himself answered the phone when I called to place my first order and he described Bears Blend as sweet and spicy and I agree and find it to be much more complex than any aro I have smoked before. I didn’t like their Mild English blend and I’m still not sure what I think about his Premium Burley.

Now you can help me… I want to support the sponsors of this website so what blends would you recommend I try from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.