PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I seem have all kinds of needle-point sized wear on the stems of most of my pipes. I dont like the big rubber bits, and I'm not clenching with any excessive force.
I was kind of checking out my teeth the other day and noticed that my teeth have some pretty sharp points.
These arent giant tooth marks, just a shallow scaring, but quite a bit of it.
Anyone else deal with this?

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, all the stems on my pipes have that too. Its just from biting down to keep the pipe in your mouth. My pipes aren't going anywhere so i figured its nothing to even consider on my part. Im pretty sure they'll buff right out with some fine sandpaper if you want to have them cleaned up and things. Other than that, im pretty sure they dont effect the pipe in anyway. You want to talk some biters, i've seen some really bad looking stems. I think we're sitting pretty tight with a few scars. These look like Jaws from the Bond movies had a taste for some baccy. :lol:
Edit: Somtimes mine get a lighter scratch where my teeth have bitten down, i just use some olive oil over the stem and that makes the stem look 100% better. I dont kow the science behind it, but it cleans up scratches on the stem..at least it hides them and they blend it, as they're not deep anyways. Most of the time mine are just little scufs.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I once knew a pipe shop owner that happened to also be a pipe collector that had the same problem. He ended up having his dentist grind down the points of his eye teeth just a bit so that they weren't so pointed or sharp anymore, which seemed to solve the problem.
Now understand he was smoking pipes that were worth hundreds of dollars that he hoped to resell someday. I’m not so sure I’d go that far for the sake of my pipes. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
We Clinchers often have those minor issues.
1Ajaws.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.