PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was just on another site and saw where I had posted the same story three times. A few of you know but I have been diagnosed with early onset dementia. It is very frustrating as I can remember some things from 50 years ago, but remembering the last couple of days is what sucks. I know I will post the same thing more than once here so just tell me Harris, you already said that stop boring us with that shit. Trust me I won't mind and it will get to the point the quickest way.

If any mods see these double posts please just delete one, I may ask about it , but just say double post shit for brains and that will also work.
My neurologist told me I have this because I was so smart for so long, no human can be expected to keep a memory like that. Ok she really didn't say that but she it a hottie, that I remember.

The most fun I ever had was with my mother-in-law visiting Asheville. She had full blow Alzheimers, and Mrs. Cosmic would just let it eat her up if her mother said something that wasn't true, or she was all the time trying to correct her if she was wrong.
So, we were setting outside a little cafe, eating some brunch, and her mother kept pointing to a gallery across the street saying, "why don't we go there next," and Mrs Cosmic would just try to explain that we had just come from there." Well, this happened about three times, so I saw here getting ready to point and say it again. So, I jumped up and said, "why won't you ever let us go in that store over there?" Mrs. Cosmic looked dumbfounded, but her mother said, "Hell yeh, why won't you?" It was a great day. We really bonded.
And, she kept picking up a box of something my wife had just bought for her mother, and "she'd say, is this for me?" And, my wife would try her best to explain, again and again and again. So, I started handing her mother the box every ten minutes or so, and saying, "Here Moma, I bought this just for you." And, it would just make her so happy.
I was always her favorite... puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's not original with me, but I call this the attic effect. When you've been around as long as we have, and you want to find something in the attic, there's so much stuff up there already (memories, information, and more) it can take months to dig it out. Like they say, some of us have forgotten more than others ever knew. Hang in there man.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Harris, you were boring me with nonsensical shit long before dementia set in.
As long as you remember that you said you’d send me your Rads, we’ll be square.
LOL, that will be a cold day in hell as my kids know all about Rad and what to do with his pipes. Now if you would like to make them some offers I can give them your info.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
If I wasn't aware of your diagnosis before today, I apologize. And I am sorry to hear that. I hope you have lots of support going forward. You certainly can mention how you are doing in this place. BTW, "Close to the Edge" is the first record I ever heard that wasn't part of my Dad's collection and it's still a favorite of mine.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Status
Not open for further replies.