PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've been trying to find an effective new way to refinish pipe bowls that wasn't labor intensive but gave great results. I'm lucky enough to live within a few miles of a great woodworking store that has very helpful people. After I explained what I was trying to accomplish, they told me, "you want Odies!". There are several Odies products, but I got the Odies Oil. It's not cheap, but the results are worth it. Odies is food safe and non toxic, and made in the USA. The only draw back is you can't use your pipe for three days while it cures.

I chose an old Yello Bole that I use for camping. It had a Matt finish because I'd never taken the time to polish it.

After I'd brushed Odies Oil on it, I waited the minimum amount of time (45 minutes) before taking an old cotton diaper and I started wiping and buffing the pipe. The wait time is 45 minutes to 12 hours for the product to seep into the wood.

I really used a minimum of effort to achieve a very good result. If I had waited longer, the luster would have been deeper. I'm going to do my unfinished Savinelli next and leave Odies on for

5-6 hours. Really excited to see how that goes.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Either way from what I understand, go check the web site out. The main important thing I see is the canned heavy gas they carry to top off the jar each time you use it.

And yes they are VERY proud of the product with the prices they charge, I personally think the prices are extreme, but I stilled made an order.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Yes, the price was high, $32.00 for the jar. The guy that sold it to me thought that since I was using it just for pipes, not construction, it would last my lifetime.
I just used the oil, nothing else. I was after adding a deep luster to the wood, not a high gloss shine. It does what I want.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I bought this carnuba mostly for pipe racks and have used it on a few pipes too. It's $18 for 16oz. and works fine on pipes.
img_0496-600x400.jpg

img_0495-600x400.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks, gentlemen. Your heads up on the Oldies and the Carnuba paste wax are timely. I have cleaned a number of estate pipes and they really need to be waxed.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Here are my next experiments. The first is an unfinished Savinelli that I had picked up from Pipe and Leaf. I left the Odie's on for four hours. It turned out with a nice finish, but didn't achieve the luster I had hoped for. I probably should have lightly sanded the bowl to open up the grain. Obviously there is a learning curve involved.
On the other hand, I removed the carnauba wax finish that I had put on my anniversary Comoy's. I couldn't be happier with how this one turned out!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I received my jar of Odie's Oil recently and I just now put a coat on two Canadian Brigham's that never had a finish on them. Will show some pics after they're dry and buffed.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Here are three Canadian Brighams that were left natural when made. The first one on the left is the before look. The other two have had the Odie's Oil treatment. My lighting doesn't do the pics justice, I should have used more light. Anyway, in person the treated pipes look pretty good.
img_0573-600x400.jpg

img_0574-600x400.jpg

img_0575-600x400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.