You May Say I’m a Reamer, Am I the Only One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
"Only in bonkers, leftist Seattle would an absurdly stupid project that's massively behind schedule and over cost be considered a success,"

Oh I dont know
the Elizabeth line,a new line on the London Undergroud just opened about 3 years late and many times over budget
Another great success?
Annoyingly now for us grammar geeks its now called the Elizabeth Line Line......

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have a Decatur reamer set that is a cheap knockoff of the PIPNET, and a couple of KLEEN REEMs.

IMG_20220201_020621.jpg

I use all of them, but, I find I've been using the Low Country Reamer oyster knife almost exclusively these days; I have more control to remove cake. I love using it, and it's inexpensive.

001-545-0205.jpg

001-545-0205_1.jpg

I believe this is similar to the Savinelli knife, which seems to be in high demand. There was one at auction recently, and it sold for much more than I was expecting.

Reactions: dctune

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Like some others on Forums, I don't build cake. I scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel. This maintains a thin carbon layer inside the chamber which is sufficient to prevent burnout. It also minimizes incidental ghosting, and best of all, it maintains the original new-pipe diameter of the chamber.
I do this as well, but I still have a couple of cobs that build cake regardless. That being said I have only ever had to ream 2 pipes (both cobs) in the last 8 years.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Just wipe the chambers out after smoking, with a paper towel, while it’s still warm inside, and the carbon is soft and you’ll never need a reamer. Doing it this way, the buildup will always be nice and thin. :)

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I usually use a British buttner reamer if I’m reaming one or two pipes. It works well but can be a little rough on the fingers when I ream more than a couple of pipes in succession, so I then use the Senior reamer.

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I don’t ream my pipes, but do scrape the bowls hard with the spoon on the Czech tool. I began to think I might be doing some damage to my pipes.

I recently bought this reamer that has 2 sizes depending on where you mount the handle. Great idea! However, even the large side is too small even for my small pipes. I guess if the pipe had a lot of cake this would fit.

What works very well is pressing 2 of the 4 blades at the same time against the pipe wall as a scraper. It prevents gouging by a single blade.

A3500C36-A3CB-47DC-858C-9BFF5CE1D0D7.jpeg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I use all of them, but, I find I've been using the Low Country Reamer oyster knife almost exclusively these days; I have more control to remove cake. I love using it, and it's inexpensive.

001-545-0205.jpg

001-545-0205_1.jpg

I believe this is similar to the Savinelli knife, which seems to be in high demand. There was one at auction recently, and it sold for much more than I was expecting.
That's what I use when the need arises, once in a great while.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
For me, a paper towel in the bowl after each smoke. I have a Rodgers smokers knife that was gifted to me by a friend that I use occasionally to trim cake. The only time I get the Pipnet out is when I’m cleaning an estate.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
In don't do the cake, but have a couple estate pipes that look like they will need to be reamed. May try to soak and scrape first. Any other recommendations for this or a decent reamer for the job (but reasonably priced) since I typically wouldn't have a need for one?

dctune

In don't do the cake, but have a couple estate pipes that look like they will need to be reamed. May try to soak and scrape first. Any other recommendations for this or a decent reamer for the job (but reasonably priced) since I typically wouldn't have a need for one?
Might also try checking with a local B&M. I know Schwab’s in Lexington, KY will professionally ream any pipes you bring in. And the fee is nominal IIRC.

Reactions: kschatey

gemtx

Might Stick Around
Dec 20, 2020
Dallas, TX
I have never needed to ream, and I smoke all manner of tobaccos. Who knows. I've seen plenty of estates with cake, but my smoking technique does not create it. Best to all.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I used to have a neighbor who never reamed his pipes. Most of his bowls had cracks in them from the excessive cake build-up and he had to use his pinkie to pack them.