PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was just perusing ebay when I stumbled on this pipe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARMING-WORK-OF-ART-SMOOTH-ANGEL-SMOKING-PIPE-KIT-BY-AMERICAN-MASTER-BENDER/272972585883?hash=item3f8e6f1b9b:g:lEQAAOSwWntXM7Vl
Who would buy something like that? I read the blurb on the maker and it is a hell of a story. If you look at what else this seller has listed, there are many more of these crazy looking pipes. I have never seen anyone on any of the pipe sites I have been on over the years buy anything like this. Does anyone know of someone who buys stuff like this?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If it sells there has to be a market.
DoH2Ch

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since the stratospheric price seems to relate in some way to the wood carving, I would evaluate the price on the basis of that, which to my eye is creative but mediocre. As a pipe to smoke, this looks entirely bothersome. This seems targeted to a buyer with more money than sense or taste. But perhaps there is some aspect I am missing?

Mar 29, 2016
I like the fact that there's a rebate and the shipping is free, no such luck for a Dunhill estate birthday pipe! But who would buy such a pipe and for this price?

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I dunno.
That seller obviously totes a large sack or, at least, a wicked sense of humor.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
:rofl:
I definitely want to and should respect the carver, but this piece of "charming work of art" also has the ability to immediately induce contraction of abdominal muscles responsible for me to laugh out real loud.
My first impression of this piece (at the very first glance before making clear of its declared title) is:

this is a Halloween theme pipe.

A witch with a witch-style hat, holding a big pumpkin, carved out, or a pumpkin box, all dressed in orange color, asking "Trick or treat?" And somehow is that a wing-costume behind it? Oops... is this kid / teenage statue naked??

And that must be from someone who takes Halloween real seriously - at $3000+ asking price.
After reading the title of this pipe, I kind of think I am all mistaken - I have to convince myself about how I should interpret this piece of art.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's a butt ugly pipe. Sometimes a lot of work results in an ugly baby. The carving is not without skill, but it's not of a very high level. As for the other pipes on display, there's nothing there that would tempt me, especially at the prices quoted for unknown carvers. Call them "master" or "genius" all you want. None of that busy work translates into a better smoke.
If my focus was collecting tiny sculptures made as working smoking pipes, I might have a different view. But the market for such items would be a huge question mark for me. As investments they would be pretty useless. As sculptures they're not all that interesting. Still, you never know. Someone is probably buying this stuff. It just won't be me.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Your irritation at the price is a guerrilla marketing technique to drive clicks for a pot pipe that can probably bought with a very low offer. 8O

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Maybe if you are a bum and you have something to sell of dubious quality you list it on eBay along with other such items and ask a very high price to so as to convince the buyer of its value? No more erotic than the nudes on meers, but I have to think that that is part of the pitch.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
With all the CNC and 3D printing technologies, the craftsmanship of yesteryears, especially those that involve pipes are something no more to be seen.
Here's an example of archangel:
84952da865501a81d97e5ca73d0f1323.jpg

Here's an example of a pipe at the end of 19th century, made by master crafter from Austria, commissioned to depict the royal wedding of Queen Elizabeth's daughter princess Louise:
princess

Such a historical piece, sold at an auction house in London, at a price reachable by those who can buy a few thousand-dollars pipes - $50,000.
If someone gifts me such a pipe, I will respond with anxiety and phobia: I definitely will be so curious to smoke it, and I am sure I will be so nervous to drop it with 99% chance during the process.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looks like something you might find in a Guatemalan outdoor market next to a tourist trap.
OTOH, it reminds me of the SNL skit, "C*** in a Box"!
s-l500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.