PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I got this haul this morning at the flea Market ... the dark twist was opened, oddly enough no coin cut, but rather ribbon cut, with about 10 good bowls left in it. It is rehidrating as we speak. Telling from the tin art it must be 90s or older (?), maybe another member would be able to tell for certain. The lighter is a IMCO, although since mine doesn't have the logo stamped on the flint lock, I suspect it is a DDR copy of the original. The good part is that the lighter is brand new, the wick was never lit, and the original flint got stuck down the tube (that was a massive headache to get out, as instead of turning to dust it petrified). The whole shenanigan for EUR 6.2. so I guess it was a good day for tabacina :D

20200627_125738.jpg20200627_132055.jpg

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I got this haul this morning at the flea Market ... the dark twist was opened, oddly enough no coin cut, but rather ribbon cut, with about 10 good bowls left in it. It is rehidrating as we speak. Telling from the tin art it must be 90s or older (?), maybe another member would be able to tell for certain. The lighter is a IMCO, although since mine doesn't have the logo stamped on the flint lock, I suspect it is a DDR copy of the original. The good part is that the lighter is brand new, the wick was never lit, and the original flint got stuck down the tube (that was a massive headache to get out, as instead of turning to dust it petrified). The whole shenanigan for EUR 6.2. so I guess it was a good day for tabacina :D

View attachment 34545View attachment 34546
Great haul! Those lighters are nice and cool idea with the tobacco. If i ever find any old or used tins when I’m farting around I’ll have to think of trying that!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and madox07

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You are lucky twice. For the purchases, for sure, which are nifty. But also, for being in an area/region that has some pipe smoking items turning up in flea markets. I live in the U.S. tobacco belt, North Carolina, and while tobacco has declined from the days it was "King" in these parts, you would think there would still be a residual of pipes, tobacco and accessories in flea markets, yard sales, garage sales, etc. In my experience, the opposite is true. They aren't there, and further more, when asked about them, the sellers at these various venues look at me as if I were asking about buying a rocket launcher. They look uncomfortable, confused, and a little affronted. My only theory is that this was a big cigarette manufacturing center so all the evidence has been ground into ash trays and the curbside gutters long ago. Anyway, yours are nice finds.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Nice score!

...But also, for being in an area/region that has some pipe smoking items turning up in flea markets...

It's more likely that there are still REAL flea markets where madox lives.

In the US, flea markets, like many other things, have been overtaken by crap marketing.

Instead of normal people bringing their unwanted trreasures to sell and trade, the tables are overtaken by hawkers of cheap, plastic crap and high fructose corn syrup.

1593379148068.png

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I've bought several clay pipes from Chesterfield flea market over the last 2 years, but my most recent ones came off eBay.
Following Condorlover1's advice to only smoke the pipes with a glazed mouthpiece, I always look to see if pipes have this feature!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Nice score!

It's more likely that there are still REAL flea markets where madox lives.

In the US, flea markets, like many other things, have been overtaken by crap marketing.

Instead of normal people bringing their unwanted trreasures to sell and trade, the tables are overtaken by hawkers of cheap, plastic crap and high fructose corn syrup.

View attachment 34718
I agree. Flea markets (at least most of them) have turned into places to buy stuff people have thrown into the trash or "Made in China" knockoffs.

The sad part to me is that many places called "antique markets" are what used to be called flea markets. They sell vintage or old stuff but not really antiques. In fact, if it's a shop that rent space for vendors, it's not really an antique shop anymore.