PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
Kansas & (occasionally) Kendal, UK
I hope not but that looks like 18 to 20 inches.
stjames.png

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yikes indeed! (That's half a meter almost)
a good til I heard once was that if you are in an area threatened by flooding, put all your important documents in your dishwasher and close the door. They are designed to be watertight, so even if your place floods, the documents will be dry.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Do not store your valuables or anything you would like to have intact in a dishwasher thinking that dishwashers are watertight. I have lived in a coastal community most of my life. And I know people who did this. To no avail. It will most definitely fill with water and possibly mud. Google search will reveal horror stories of valuables ruined by thinking this would be safe.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
aquadoc has it. Please do not put important things in your dishwasher for any purpose other than a good cleaning. They are not water tight in the sense of being completely waterproof. They just keep the water spraying around inside from getting out. If you drilled a hole in the top of a dishwasher and filled it with water, the water would run out.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Another drawback to placing items in a dishwasher is the fire hazard. I've worked several fires where people turned the water off to the dishwasher thinking it would be a "safe", but the didn't unplug it. The cycle gets accidentally initialed and everything in the dishwasher becomes fuel for a fire when the heating element melts the soft inner plastic of the tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.