PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2015
I found a pouch I missplaced months ago and noticed some changes... White bits with sparkles that don't rub off. I have a great photo but don't know how to post one yet. Anybody want to help a guy out? Thanks!

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
First off, welcome to the forum rarecelebratorypipe!
secondly, crystals that form on tobacco are usually from aging but takes years, not weeks. Fuzzy white stringy like growth is mold.
Pics would help tons, male a photobucket account and do it that way. Easiest way to do it imo.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I looked at your photo and if it is a pouch of otc I would just buy another. Its hard to tell from your photo but that does not look like age crystals to me. If I had a gun to my head and had to guess I would say mold.

Jan 19, 2015
Thanks peteguy, those whitish bits are intermixed evenly throughout the batch and it still smells good but I understand mold=bad. I separated them so I could show color difference. The tobacco is over a year old and hasn't been sealed so it's pretty dry anyway. The only bummer is I just jarred it in my new wide mouth mason then noticed the white stuff. After reading some other forums about mold and jars, it sounds like I need to pitch the new jar too. Dagnabit.

Jan 19, 2015
I'm also interested in tobacco that ages very well over years of storage in jars. I don't use enough to care about price, only that it will keep for extended periods and get better as the months even years tick by as I idly watch it from my armchair. Maybe this should be a new thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.