PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've read through the various guidelines for dating Dunhill pipes and remain unsure about how to distinguish the 1950s pipes from the 1960s. One guide refers to an elevated suffix while the other refers to the size of the suffix. On both these pipes, it's unclear to me whether they are either smaller or very elevated or simply out of line with "England". The underling is a complete mystery to me. Assistance is appreciated. One is a Tanshell and the other a shell. Both unsmoked, by the way.
IMG_20180924_162455-X3.jpg

IMG_20180924_162438-1537825597625-X3.jpg

IMG_20180924_162523-X3.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Who cares about the date when they're as outstanding as those specimens! Excellent job!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks George and Sablebrush. They do seem like particularly nice specimens. The blast on the Shell is outstanding and the Tanshell's blast is uniquely deep and sharp. I like the darker tone of the Tanshell, which came with the original packaging, including the pamphlet.
The Shell, unfortunately, has an odd stem which appears to be designed to accommodate a filter, but apparently none of the usual varieties. There is no room in the mortise to accommodate a filter protruding from the stem. Very strange. I saw another post referring to a pipe with a similar stem, but no real answers to the mystery emerged.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I read the shell as 8 rather than 6, so 68, but yeah.
The bent Dunhills have a wide mouth on the tenon. It's a long trumpet-taper in there, not for a filter, but a way to accomodate the fact that the drilling on the pipe is probably not dead-center in the bottom of the mortise. In other words, it's a way to allow the drilling to be as it needs to be in a bent pipe, and not smoke awful. They are all like that in this time period.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Nice Dunhills! They look brand new. I don't have any more to offer on dating than what's already been said.
I don't want to hijack your post, but this got me thinking about a double US patent shell that went off on eBay today a little past noon. It had a 'Z' stamped at the end of the second patent number. Anyone know what a 'Z' would represent? I thought a shape code, but it was a billiard.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Those are Beautiful pipes. Nice score!

The bent Dunhills have a wide mouth on the tenon. It's a long trumpet-taper in there, not for a filter, but a way to accomodate the fact that the drilling on the pipe is probably not dead-center in the bottom of the mortise. In other words, it's a way to allow the drilling to be as it needs to be in a bent pipe, and not smoke awful.
Also, the "trumpet zone" allows for the inner-tube to be used without having to bend the tube to make it fit.
As for dating, I agree....... Shell is a '68, but the Tanshell could go either way- '57 or 67........hard to say........ :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The bent Dunhills have a wide mouth on the tenon. It's a long trumpet-taper in there, not for a filter, but a way to accomodate the fact that the drilling on the pipe is probably not dead-center in the bottom of the mortise. In other words, it's a way to allow the drilling to be as it needs to be in a bent pipe, and not smoke awful. They are all like that in this time period.
That has been my experience with Dunhills in that era. I initially thought they were filter pipes and even tried to fit a Stanwell filter in one. But the drilling is tapered, so a filter will not fit. (some advocate that the underlined year number meant a filter pipe, but that's not been consistent either)

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The "Z' is most likely an underlined '7"...... sometimes the stampings run into each other and touch, creating the "Z"...... I've seen that on quite a few.
EDIT: Sorry Craig- I didn't see your post above. Let's see some pics of the 1927!!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Regarding the innertube, this pipe had one, but it seemed too long. In fact, someone had inserted it improperly, pinching it and causing it to kink, which made it impossible to remove the stem until I was able to push it up the draft hole.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Regarding the Tanshell, which I bought from a seller in Cairo, Egypt, the 1957 date is consistent with the seller's background info, bit I wasn't sure how reliable he was.
Here's a photo of the nomenclature on the 1927 Shell billiard.
Screenshot_20180924-184052-X3.png

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Yeah, I took out the innertube on the bent Shell. I'll be interested in whether the 1927 still has its innertube. The two patents are for the oil curing process and the innertube.
I'm very glad to get a consensus on the stem of that bent Shell. Now I won't think it's an oddball

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
^^ I had that one in my "watchlist"...... I think you did well with that purchase. It should clean up well and be an excellent smoker. Those old '20s era Dunhills are magical...... so light. I have a shape 59 Tanshell and its the best smoking pipe in my collection...... Enjoy that one!!......... :puffy:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm glad you got it Craig. It makes me feel better about bringing it into the conversation. As beefeater said it should clean up nicely. Thanks all for clarifying the 'Z' underlined 7 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.