PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Men over 40 who are plagued with the omnipresent of generalized anxiety disorder are more than twice as likely to die of cancer than are men who do not have the mental affliction, new research finds.

Copied and pasted directly from the web page.

Do you see at least one incorrect word usage?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Plenty of errors here!
I work with a number of foreign researchers that publish articles in English and mistakes are common. In this case I would recommend some proof reading by a capable individual.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Men over 40 who are plagued with the omnipresent of generalized anxiety disorder are more than twice as likely to die of cancer than are men who do not have the mental affliction, new research finds.
Copied and pasted directly from the web page.

Do you see at least one incorrect word usage?
1. I'd say "the omnipresence of ...", not "the omnipresent". One can't use an adjective here. Also, I wouldn't use "omnipresence". If I must use a big word, I'd have used ubiquitous, not omnipresence.

The writer turned his sentence in a way to mean that the GAD is everywhere and some men are plagued by it. It's heavy and lacks subtlety.
2. Men over... cancer than are men who ...
3. "generalised" . it seems that it's been translated from French, in which "généralisé" can be used in medical context to describe a disease that has spread to all parts of the body. Anxiety being a psychological/psychiatric disorder, it's located in the brain and doesn't call for being described as "generalised".
IMHO

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
There is a lady that lived over 100 years, and she smoked cigaretts, not to be mistaking, she would roll her own tobacco, I think that back then in the early 1900, cigarettes were made with high quality tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.