Yet Another 3 To Add To My Whiskey Collection.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Four Roses Small Batch (45%), Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye (45%) & Elijah Craig Small Batch (47%).

Had 2 expressions of Four Roses, the 'regular' bourbon I thought rather so-so and recently their Single Barrel which was delightful. Jack Daniel's I have aplenty of various expressions but this is my first single barrel rye from them. As for Elijah Craig, I've never had anything from there but it has often been recommended to me on this forum so went for it.

Roll on next Monday when they will be delivered. I'll then have 41 different American whiskies :col: .

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You can have liquor delivered? Wow! Can people in the US receive deliveries of liquor?"

Michael, I buy most of my spirits from Amazon which regularly have special offers. For example the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye is normally £50 for 70cl, today it was £41:99 so a considerable saving on that one bottle alone.

I actually 9 bottles in total (something about 'Black Friday Special Deals') but only the three above listed are new to me.

Regards,

Jay.?

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Four Roses Small Batch (45%), Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye (45%) & Elijah Craig Small Batch (47%).

Had 2 expressions of Four Roses, the 'regular' bourbon I thought rather so-so and recently their Single Barrel which was delightful. Jack Daniel's I have aplenty of various expressions but this is my first single barrel rye from them. As for Elijah Craig, I've never had anything from there but it has often been recommended to me on this forum so went for it.

Roll on next Monday when they will be delivered. I'll then have 41 different American whiskies :col: .

Regards,

Jay.

You know, I've tried and tried to like Four Roses, and, no matter which version I try, it always leave me flat. I guess that's why there are so many labels to try. :-D

Be excited about Elijah Craig. I think it's one of the best all-round bourbons on the market. The other versions of Elijah Craig are also excellent, but, beware, the barrel proof weighs in over 135 proof (67.5% ABV) and it will make your legs wobbly in a hurry.

And, forty-one bottles of whisky is a noble collection.With the weather turning, you're well supplied for surviving the cold winter nights.

Cheers,

Chili

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but, beware, the barrel proof weighs in over 135 proof (67.5% ABV) and it will make your legs wobbly in a hurry. "

Chili, I generally add a splash of water to my spirits, perhaps a couple of teaspoons on a 45%abv glass though on a 67.5%abv perhaps that might have to be a couple of tablespoons!

Whenever I drink my Wood's Rum (57%) I have to add a splash else I couldn't drink it.

PS: Just looked up Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.....sells over here for around £100 a bottle :oops:

Regards,

Jay.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
"but, beware, the barrel proof weighs in over 135 proof (67.5% ABV) and it will make your legs wobbly in a hurry. "

Chili, I generally add a splash of water to my spirits, perhaps a couple of teaspoons on a 45%abv glass though on a 67.5%abv perhaps that might have to be a couple of tablespoons!

Whenever I drink my Wood's Rum (57%) I have to add a splash else I couldn't drink it.

PS: Just looked up Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.....sells over here for around £100 a bottle :oops:

Regards,

Jay.

Hey, Jay...

Water in your bourbon? There's no shame in that game. "Bourbon and Branch" is a time honored drink in the American South.

£100 is a shocking price for barrel proof Elijah Craig. For reference, I saw a bottle in my local store last week for $65/£50. As overproof tipples go, I do believe Elijah Craig is very good, but, I am not certain it's the best spend at £100. Then again an unexpected windfall brought on by a good day at the races might sway me...

As an alternative, you might investigate Old Grand-Dad 117. It's still stiff at 117 proof/58.5 ABV but it's about half the price of brrrel proof Elijah Craig.

Cheers,

Chili

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Don't know if this is a dedicated whiskey thread or what, but got my hands on the newest release of George Dickel Bottled in Bond. Wow, this is a great sipper! Much hotter than the 100 proof would let on. I need to a do a side by side with it and the Single Barrel. Their other whiskies are pretty lame, but I would put these two against most of what Kentucky is putting out.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 9, 2018
England

Regards,

Jay.

Jay, I think you might've swapped TAD for WAD, whiskey acquisition disoder?

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
You can have liquor delivered? Wow! Can people in the US receive deliveries of liquor? I am having difficulty even getting wines delivered.
I belive it varies by state, many relaxed their laws due to Corona. In Texas we can get beer/wine/liquor delivered from liquor stores and restaurants. A local brewpub is delivering growlers of beer. We can get Margaritas to go and through the drive through. One of the local restaurants that’s “famous” for their margaritas was delivering a gallon of mix and a bottle of tequila. Everyone seems pretty happy with the new more relaxed laws. Pretty much any alcohol is just a phone call away.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Sadly, one of my deficiencies is a total lack of appreciation of ant dark liquor. On the other hand I save a lot of money that way.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO

Regards,

Jay.

Keep looking for the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Hard to find, but I've had 3 bottles that were awesome. 4R Single barrel is a favorite as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.