Yes or No?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Over the years the flavoring of Erinmore keeps coming up as to exactly what it is. Some were confused by the pineapple on the label, and years ago when Woodsroads posted a link of all ingredients submitted to the EU about all additives in pipe tobaccos, it was found that Isoamyl Acetate was an ingredient in Erinmore.

Isoamyl Acetate is also the flavoring used in Juicy Fruit chewing gum, and is a byproduct of the distillation process. The chemical symbol for Isoamyl Acetate has always been a pineapple. It is also called banana oil in the trade, because if it is not removed from liquors in the distillation process, it gives the liquor a banana taste which is off putting to drinkers expecting whisky.

Isoamyl Acetate has a very bananaish pineappleish flavor.

And, yet people still refused to believe it was in there, even with the EU government documents provided live online. So, i went to Amazon and ordered some. Guess what... it smells just like a urinal cake, ha ha. I haven't brought myself to actually taste any though, because this stuff is potently powerful in smell. But, you can easily order some yourselves to smell. They use it to test the fit on industrial respirators. So, I assume that it must be used in very microscopic doses on the tobacco.

1631653373952.png

Yes, the flavoring is less now than it was even a few years ago when I first fell in love with Erinmore, but it still has that urinal cake smell to it. But, in the smoke it adds that same exact flavor of Juicy Fruit gum. So, for me the debate is over. I only have maybe one of these left, somewhere, because I was sending samples of it to let pipesmokers smell for themselves for a while.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Yes! And it is delicious, both the smell and the taste. I warm it up in the oven to dry before smoking and it gets this toasted sweet bread smell. I also get the Juicy Fruit gum quite strongly at times when smoking.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
They've definitely screwed with this one in the last few years.
When have you noticed the changes? I finished cellaring Erinmore Flake in 2016-2017. I love it. I’ve had the Murray’s version too, theirs was definitely stronger in nicotine. The top dressing must have dissipated a bunch as it was very mild and I’ve heard a lot of people say that it was more heavily flavored in the Murray’s days.