PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Today we take a side trip into some words that come from the French and their fine tradition of cafes and 'classy' smoking.
Estaminet (etymology)

es·ta·mi·net (-stäm-n)
noun

1) A small café

2) A small café, bar, or bistro (esp a shabby one)

3) A café in which smoking is allowed - c.1700's, of unknown origin
--

Chasse or Chaser (etymology)
noun

1) Water or mild beverage taken after a strong drink - 1897, U.S. colloquial

2) A drink of liquor taken (or said to be taken) to kill the aftertaste of coffee or tobacco - c.1800
--
Estaminet

l+estaminet.jpg

Chasse

4529.jpg

--
So, head out to a fine local estaminet and enjoy a fine chasse with your pipe.
CHEERS!

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Oh, if only we had such a fine establishment as an Estaminet in my area, I would gladly chasse my tail in such a place!
I remember fondly the "Gentlemen's Clubs" (no, NOT strip joints) that could be found all over London in the good old days, where, for a modest fee, one could find a seat in a plush chair, light up one's pipe, and order drinks and dainties, thus spending a thoroughly relaxing and pleasant day in the company of like-minded gentlemen (and the occasional lady).
And now our pipe clubs have to meet on Indian Native American First Nation reservations!
What IS the world coming to?

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Kashmir, those get better all the time :)
4dotsasieni, A few years ago, the District of Columbia passed an ordinance forbidding smoking in restaurants and other public establishments. Now, there were some exceptions included, for tobacconists, cigar bars, and the like - but it pretty much ended the bar smoking culture in the city.
Now, I've always wondered what a Jazz club is without the low-hanging haze. How can you revel in the soul of the music when you can see the table next to you clearly - no one goes to a jazz club to be seen with other people. :?
Additionally, as a byproduct of the law, many of the clubs (gentlemen's clubs - not the strip kind) also did away with their smoking rooms/libraries/dining rooms rather than pay the expense to upgrade those rooms to meet the requirements of the new law. What is a club without the power-broker back room where fat cats lunt big clouds of smoke while setting the course of government and industry?
Ah well, people always told me I was born about 100 years too late.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
These old words are thoroughly enjoyable, thank you for your effort in getting them to us!

Status
Not open for further replies.