PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Picked up a few pipes and a humidor at a yard sale this weekend. A meer billiard, a gourd calabash, a cob, a Motorist, and a Mastercraft weatherproof sparkproof pipe. Along with a Ranger reamer, a continental lighter, tobacco pounch, stand and some odds and ends in the humidor. $20 for the lot.yardsale1.jpgyardsale2.jpg

Last edited:

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
Picked up a few pipes and a humidor at a yard sale this weekend. A meer billiard, a gourd calabash, a cob, a Motorist, and a Mastercraft weatherproof sparkproof pipe. Along with a Ranger reamer, a continental lighter, tobacco pounch, stand and some odds and ends in the humidor. $20f or the lot.View attachment 205809View attachment 205822
Yesss. My favorite kind of post.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For twenty bucks. You could turn these around on fleaBay for a good bit more. However, they all look like keepers to me.

I surmise that pipes at yard sales are a regional thing, and I seem to be in the cigarette region. It seems like no one here ever smoked a pipe or had a family member who did. It does help if the relatives don't know pipes. It's just clutter to them, and twenty bucks sounds pretty good.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
For twenty bucks. You could turn these around on fleaBay for a good bit more. However, they all look like keepers to me.

I surmise that pipes at yard sales are a regional thing, and I seem to be in the cigarette region. It seems like no one here ever smoked a pipe or had a family member who did. It does help if the relatives don't know pipes. It's just clutter to them, and twenty bucks sounds pretty good.
I don't come across a lot here, but when I do they seem to be well taken care of pipes. The last batch I found for $20 included a Dunhill and some other nice pipes. That batch ended up costing 73 cents per pipe. I need to start culling the herd, the pipes are taking over. LOL

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Picked up a few pipes and a humidor at a yard sale this weekend. A meer billiard, a gourd calabash, a cob, a Motorist, and a Mastercraft weatherproof sparkproof pipe. Along with a Ranger reamer, a continental lighter, tobacco pounch, stand and some odds and ends in the humidor. $20 for the lot.View attachment 205809View attachment 205822
The Zippo type lighter is a True cigarettes lighter.

1677530966047.png

Nice find BTW 👍

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I found lots like this for twenty skins, I'd have pipes packed in the cupboards. If you don't have the time to re-sell, you could send selected pipes to SP for store credit, toward particular pipes you want. I guess I don't shop yard sales and flea markets enough. There's a big state flea market at he fairgrounds near me, but usually the pipe inventory is zip, or so-so items way overpriced. Flea market sales tend toward pricey. That's the culture.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've never found anything at a yard sale or flea market, but I've made some really nice scores at antique shops.

This has waned enormously, though. 10+ years ago I regularly found pipes in the Savinelli/Peterson/Comoys type range for $5 or so. Now, when I ask an antique dealer if there are any pipes around, he says that he used to struggle to offload them, but now they're snatched up the moment they come in the door.

I blame all you guys ;-)

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
If I found lots like this for twenty skins, I'd have pipes packed in the cupboards. If you don't have the time to re-sell, you could send selected pipes to SP for store credit, toward particular pipes you want. I guess I don't shop yard sales and flea markets enough. There's a big state flea market at he fairgrounds near me, but usually the pipe inventory is zip, or so-so items way overpriced. Flea market sales tend toward pricey. That's the culture.
I'll probably see if any of the members here want to just trade a few of the pipes in my collection for a Peterson system pipe. I know some hate those and if they could acquire a few pipes in exchange it would be a win win for all. I like system pipes especially the spigot systems. I don't think I'd get much credit for my pipes at SP except maybe the Dunhill.