PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I've had an IM Corona Old Boy for years, probably decades. It underwent professional servicing a few years ago and the old boy was working like a charm until I ran out of Zippo butane and decided to take advantage of a sale on Xikar High Performance butane to "upgrade." (Predictably, I bought four cans to get free shipping!)

There was never a lot of pressure in the Zippo canister so it might take up to a minute for the Old Boy to fill. You could never tell if the lighter was completely filled but it worked great.

All that changed when Old Boy met young Xikar. The lighter didn't even survive first contact. It took less than ten seconds for the Xikar to blow the seals on the Old Boy.

Here's my question: Is the pressure in a fresh can of Xikar too high for even a brand new Old Boy? Were the three-year-old seals on my lighter ready to blow anyway? I ask because if this happens even with fresh seals, then it makes no sense to get the Old Boy repaired and continue to use my four cans of Xikar.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Thanks for your answers. If you've had no trouble with Xikar and your Old Boys, the problem must have been my seals. Xikar really clubbed those babies!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This is interesting. I use the "neon" brand of butane. Everytime I try to fill my old boy I get a huge amount spraying out like it's full. I tried emptying the valve first before filling and sometimes it still does it. I shake can, flip upside down and press yeah?

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
The better fuel is most definitely worth the money, in my experience. Since I switched I haven’t had a lighter clog up on me. I used to lose about one a year when I used ronson. Granted, they were cheap lighters.