WTT 4 Capstan Blue Flake w/ age (8.14.21)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
24 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
24 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
4 Fresh Missouri Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tobacco Treasures Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
Howdy, I’m looking for a couple tins of Capstan Blue Flake w/ at least 3 years on them

Sitting on many jars of different Esotericas and other blends too w/ a couple years on them.

pm if interested in a trade

Thanks!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I thought I read somewhere on this forum that Capstan Blue Flake doesn't really change much with age. I opened up a tin from 2016 a few months ago and there was no sign of sugar crystals.
Not everything that ages well gets crystals. Aging isn’t consistent across the board. I’ve found Capstan to age well.

There is a Venn Diagram in there somewhere.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Ages well" is entirely subjective. Capstan both yellow and blue lose the fresh edge they have when "brand new", Mac Baren's virginia flake does the same, and 3 years is about the window for that one for sure. I've got a tin of 2014 Blue on the go right now and it's much more calmed than I was expecting, more to the flat leathery end of the spectrum than the sugary sweet - I think the tobacco has mellowed and the flavor fattened up some, and the topping seems less present than I remember (which could be hazy BS anyway). Very nice virginia, more in the British vein than continental at this point.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I think the OP is specifically looking for JUST the CB Flake. This offer from TP is One each of CB ready rubbed, one CB Flake, One CG ready rubbed and one CG Flake. 3 of the 4 he’d have no use for.

Reactions: uzzi101
Jan 28, 2018
Noblesville, IN & Sarasota, FL
I think the OP is specifically looking for JUST the CB Flake. This offer from TP is One each of CB ready rubbed, one CB Flake, One CG ready rubbed and one CG Flake. 3 of the 4 he’d have no use for.
But 4 of the packages, trade or sell the 9 tins he doesn't want. And I'd bet 99 out of 100 couldn't pick out the RR from the Flake in the pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Noblesville, IN & Sarasota, FL
That’d be 12 tins he’d have to sell. And I’m not too sure there’s many folks looking to shell out $20/tin for Capstan Gold?‍♂️
I suppose if he wants the aged Capstan Blue badly enough, that factors into the price. It's $17 now for a fresh tin for the Yellow. If someone wants aged leaf, there's a premium to be paid. I like the.Yellow about as much as the blue.

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.