PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Why not
As a Shawnee descendant, I find this tactic appalling. If the antis want to push their goals, use science not cultural propaganda. To me tobacco is sacred medicine. It prevents coworkers from breaking out in welts, bruises, and suffering blood loss.
That gets the award for the best comment of January 2021 on this forum. F'ing brilliant!! +100

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
So the implication is that it's somehow culturally offensive to Native Americans to smoke tobacco
I didn't get that implication at all. It is simply an ad, not directed a Caucasians (Don't get your feelings hurt, everything isn't about us.), reminding the target indigenous folk that smoking is for rituals and not, self-gratification.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There's no need to cite science, society has made its decision. The science no longer is needed for the issue. People do not like being exposed to the odor of smokers and their reeking, nicotine delivery systems. So, why tolerate such. We are an intolerant society these days, smoking is simply a minor irritant these days and has been handily addressed by the electorate. All levels of government get the message, the electorate doesn't like smoking and wants serious boundaries reducing their exposure.

versus a campaign trying to guilt whitey.
I thought all "races" could smoke. Someone has a very thin skin. It's not all about you. And you are treading into the morass known as "politics." with such a statement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The ad people have waded into the depths where anything they say feels coercive and a little sick, and this is a pretty gentle example. A generous interpretation would be: Don't suck down three packs of cigarettes a day; in our culture, tobacco is for sacred ceremonies. From authentic accounts of plains Indians I've read, they actually did recreational pipe smoking regularly, but it mostly didn't amount to an addiction or abuse. When they were still hunting buffalo and engaging in war parties, tobacco was unlikely to be a cause of death. Compared to the big blasts now used as "health labels" on tobacco products, this barely irks me. Since this is for and about a distinct cultural group, not mine, I'd cede to their opinions -- beginning with chasing.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I must be missing something.

I came to the ad thinking it was going to be anti. But it's pro and pro by American Indians who message the ad's audience that they would like tobacco to be held sacred. It's part of their tradition.

The little girl conveying it is clothed in traditional dress. She looks Indian and is more than likely so. This is an American Indian message asking that their tobacco tradition be honored, and it is directed at antis.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
There's no need to cite science, society has made its decision. The science no longer is needed for the issue. People do not like being exposed to the odor of smokers and their reeking, nicotine delivery systems. So, why tolerate such. We are an intolerant society these days, smoking is simply a minor irritant these days and has been handily addressed by the electorate. All levels of government get the message, the electorate doesn't like smoking and wants serious boundaries reducing their exposure.

I thought all "races" could smoke. Someone has a very thin skin. It's not all about you. And you are treading into the morass known as "politics." with such a statement.

Reservations are full of poor residents who smoke so, the ad has targeted the indigenous youth. Cigarette smoking smoking is pervasive on the reservations, especially among the youth. The ad makes eminently good sense if we are looking to reduce risky behavior in youth. I, for one, can certainly support such a goal.

EF69794F-CFD0-46BC-B526-DAB289C7F47E.gif

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama

About ClearWay MinnesotaSM​

Home» About ClearWay MinnesotaSM » Strategic Plan

Strategic Plan​

ClearWay Minnesota’sSM Strategic Plan helps support our work toward long-term goals to reduce smoking prevalence, secondhand smoke exposure and tobacco-related health disparities.
OUR VISION (ClearWay Minnesota’s aspirational intent)
Eliminate the harm tobacco causes the people of Minnesota.
MISSION STATEMENT (our core purpose and whom we serve)
The mission of ClearWay Minnesota is to enhance life for all Minnesotans by reducing tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke through research, action and collaboration.
LEGACY GOALS (long-term goals to achieve our mission)
  • By 2023, reduce the prevalence of smoking among adult Minnesotans to less than 9 percent.
  • By 2023, reduce secondhand smoke exposure among nonsmoking Minnesotans to less than 5 percent.
  • By 2023, advance the science of eliminating tobacco-related health disparities.
Our strategic priorities through Fiscal Year 2017 are:
  • Support policies that reduce tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke
  • Support Minnesotans in quitting smoking
  • Create an environment that supports a commercial tobacco-free future for Minnesotans
  • Plan for ClearWay Minnesota’s limited life

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
An interesting take. A stretch but, interesting just the same. As the ad was funded by the "antis", with tobacco tax moneys, I can't contort my logic to embrace it though.
I'm not saying who funded it, but how do you know it was funded by antis?

I don't get the message as anti. There's nothing anti about the girl, her dress or the ads words. The message in fact asks for support for American Indian tradition by supporting tobacco.

However true, entirely futile as American Indians are the most marginalized group in America. The response to the ad will be, "Who gives a flip what they want."

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't get the message as anti. There's nothing anti about the girl, her dress or the ads words. The message in fact asks for support for American Indian tradition by supporting tobacco.
You have to read the URL in the ad too. Do you think "quitplan" sounds pro-smoking tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.