PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Hey everybody, I'm looking for just 1 tin of each of these tobaccos either to buy or trade. I'm asking because I recently won an auction of these tobaccos in bulk but have never had them before so I'm not 100% sure they are what they say they are. Preferably I would like a tin of Penzance from between 2010 and 2015 because that was the stated year of the bulk and I would like to compare the 2. The LGF I assume the year wouldn't matter too much but I would like to compare them as well. Thank you too whoever has these and is willing to part with such a precious commodity. Plz P.M any offers

Reactions: jravenwood

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
The Penzance from that age might be tricky to find , but throw up some pics of what you received, guys here might be able to you if it’s Penz or not

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
I've never seen either one of those, two tobaccos offered in bulk. Penzance always comes in a sealed bag or tin, and Golden Flake is only offered in their paint can.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I've never seen either one of those, two tobaccos offered in bulk. Penzance always comes in a sealed bag or tin, and Golden Flake is only offered in their paint can.
By bulk I mean it was taken from a bag (I assume could be multiple tins) and placed in jars, which i considered bulk, not sure what else to call it 🤔, Repacked maybe but either way yes those 2 are not bulk tobaccos, but I'm sure some people on here have it in "BULK" with a capitol B.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Do you have reason to question the credibility of the seller of your bulk tobacco? A tin of Penzance that age would likely cost $75 to $100 and a tin of aged LGF probably $50. Kind of expensive to verify your purchase. Both of these blends have a rather unique flavor profile. Not one I'd try to substitute for were I going to do such a thing.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Penzance is very close to a crumble cake, meaning the flakes are very soft and fragile. So in a jarred sample, you’re likely to find a lot of broken flakes and bits. If you do have whole flakes, they are not the thinnest flakes; they might look a little chunky to you. And my memory is that they’re shorter than you might be used to, maybe two- to two-and-a-half inches in length.

I can’t even begin to offer a description of the tin note, which to me is glorious rich incense and warm memories. But it should not just smell like latakia; Penzance is not a latakia bomb.

And just so you’re aware, Penzance was my main blend for about ten years, until it became a roll of the dice whether you could actually buy it or not. So I’ve smoked a lot of tins of it.

I didn’t go all-in with cellaring it, because I much prefer it fresh. For me, it loses some of its initial (and highly pleasing) tang once it has a couple of years on it. So I don’t have anything to send you.

Last edited:

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Well I guess they moved this to a different thread, yes it is more of a crumble cake, it looks alot like "BOAF whimsical" but darker and about the same length as well. It's just so many blends look like this that it may or may not be what I think it is lol. Should I open another WTT/WTB without all the dets,

Reactions: jravenwood

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well I guess they moved this to a different thread, yes it is more of a crumble cake, it looks alot like "BOAF whimsical" but darker and about the same length as well. It's just so many blends look like this that it may or may not be what I think it is lol. Should I open another WTT/WTB without all the dets,
I’d be happy to perform an expert taste test for you… (But I’m curious: What is “BOAF whimsical”?)

I’m also going to repeat a question asked above: What is making you doubt the authenticity of this blend? Because if you’re willing to spend $75-$100 for a 2oz tin just to satisfy your curiosity…that seems a bit extreme…

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I’d be happy to perform an expert taste test for you… (But I’m curious: What is “BOAF whimsical”?)

I’m also going to repeat a question asked above: What is making you doubt the authenticity of this blend? Because if you’re willing to spend $75-$100 for a 2oz tin just to satisfy your curiosity…that seems a bit extreme…
I dont have any reason to doubt except my brain wont let me believe 🤪. BOAF whimsical is the latest release of sutliff and per Jensen of Mac B limited release birds of a feather. I kinda realized that but i put it out there in the world so couldn't take it back lol, there are a couple on tinbids from the same time frame but the craziness on that site is beyond what I'm willing to part with just for 1 tin, but hey to each there own, I was just hoping a kind hearted soul on this forum would part with a tin at a reasonable price, I'm not asking to be given anything, I was actually offered to be given a tin of the LGF but refused the kind generosity and am gonna trade because gosh that's just too kind and thank you again. I'd say who it was but don't wanna blow up there spot lol.