PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
You just gotta taste ton of stuff until you know what you like and what you don't like. You can read the reviews until cows come home, but that won't let you actually taste the blend. What I did when I first started smoking pipe was keep my eyes open as to what was popular. Try those first. Then I picked a brand and went down the list and tried things that sounded like something I would enjoy. If you find you like certain genre, you can find ton of suggestions on the forum. Just have to dive in and taste as much as possible. Don't forget bulk blends, some are pretty good at very attractive price. And smoke each blend in as many different pipes as possible. English/Balkan is definitely better in wide bowl.
Thanks. I've ordered several Stokeby blends that will arrive today, and will order several from another maker this week.

The "different pipes" thing is something I will soon be able to20210501_074929_001.jpg do, after I clean up the twelve estates I've acquired. They're pictured here after just 11 hours of treatment. I will empty the nastiness this morning and start fresh.

Reactions: bullet08

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks. I've ordered several Stokeby blends that will arrive today, and will order several from another maker this week.

The "different pipes" thing is something I will soon be able toView attachment 77867 do, after I clean up the twelve estates I've acquired. They're pictured here after just 11 hours of treatment. I will empty the nastiness this morning and start fresh.
I hope ur using the windex on them.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaylotw
Jun 23, 2019
Wouldn’t be a smart business decision, but suppose a retailer put several pounds of bulk away to sell it at an “aged premium” a few years down the road. Maybe it’s something unpopular that’s been laying around and hasn’t sold. Maybe it was several pounds of bulk that was forgotten on the back of a shelf, maybe it was a warehouse find from 2010.

Can’t imagine SP or P&C cracking a tin to sell it “loose” (aged or fresh). Is there a legal minimum they have to sell? Smallest I’ve ever seen is an oz. Could a seller sell a few grams/a bowls worth if they were inclined to. I get it not being worth the hassle, but could they if they wanted to?

Don't mean to open Pandora's Box, but I think there's been a concerted effort to shift the responsibilities of cellaring and aging to the consumer.

It wasn't too long ago when buying 20xx year released tobacco meant there were already x years of processed and "bulk age" on them, but now the virginias are getting fresher and fresher.

EDIT: to add, certain brands do sell "premium" virginias with some years on them and they are noticeably different.

Status
Not open for further replies.