Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I rent a 300 square foot office for my business, which is engineering, mostly for the aerospace industry. It costs me $285 a month.
The landlord told me I can smoke as long as no one complains. So, I shove a jacket under the door and smoke. Well, with winter on, my neighbors are using the heater, and the smoke is traveling into their offices through the vents. No official complaints, but comments about smelling "cigarette smoke". Probably from the Burley I switched to recently, because no one said a word when I was smoking Ennerdale.
Anyhow, the office across the hall is twice the size (I don't need the size), and costs $500 per month. It has an open balcony, and I could smoke all day in peace.
I told my wife I'm going to move so I can continue to smoke all day. She's not happy about spending more than $200 a month just so I can smoke.
Should I? Damn, I want to smoke right now with this cup of coffee....she never visits, but she checks my bank account often...

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
P.S. My wife also doesn't let me smoke in the house. But, I do, a little bit when she leaves me home alone. Haven't got caught yet...I'm thinking in a year or so to admit to it, and she'll either let me smoke inside, or kick me out.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I have no issue paying to relax at the cigar lounge, as long as the price is reasonable.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Go bigger if you have the luxury. Let the increased hard costs motivate you to push a lil harder in the biz. Good for the soul to spread out a bit too.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Cart ahead of the horse a bit but it can leave room for an assistant or such without the cramped quarters down the road...
And buy a air purifier. Not just for the neighbors. It will keep it from becoming like an old boot you spend all day in. Congrats!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Let's break it down- 22 working days a month. $200 bucks more month...It works out to $9.09 a day for your peace and tranquility...PRICELESS!!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
We're considering moving in the near future, and one of the items on the list is a "man-cave" space, either a well-ventilated room or a detached structure. I suspect that, all in all, it will cost more than $200 a month over the life of the mortgage... :D

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
For me, if I want to smoke indoors, I have to pay for it. Smoking indoors in public places is 100% illegal, including in B&M's. Even bar patios are illegal to smoke on, and very strongly enforced. I don't think there are any rental properties in my city that will allow you to smoke either. You basically have to own your house if you are going to smoke inside.
Fortunately, I do own my house, but out of respect to my girlfriend, I will only smoke indoors when it is too cold to go outside. -20 is the temperature when I am allowed indoors hahaha. Other than that, I am confined to my car or front stoop.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
If you can afford it then I say go for it. If not then maybe switch back to non-burly blends. But having that open balcony space would be sweet. I say do it....I would love to smoke at work.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I think Zack nailed it with the $9.09 per day, if that fits your budget then the additional cost for your sanity, enjoyment and concentration will be well worth the expenditure.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
The garage I rent is as much for piping as it is for my car haha. After spending years out on windy patios I feel like the peace of an indoor space is totally worth the price!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Actually, the $9.09 is ruining for me! I can afford it, but I am a cheap bastard and that's a tin of tobacco!
I may have to lay off the burley and see if that works...
I'm still thinking about it. The office across has been empty for over a year.
I'm in California, and the rules are strict, but my Landlord is from Egypt and he doesn't give a crap what I do. My next door neighbors here are the Narcotics Anonymous world headquarters, and they have a bit of a stick up their asses about it.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
With the deduction that zack24 made and the motivation factor that guhrillastile put forth, if I had the cash, I'd do it, too!
Though, forgive my ignorance, but would there be any haggling on rent space to lower it by a little?

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
A few thoughts:
* Stay in the current space and invest in a good air-purifier to clean the air before it circulates to the other offices. save the extra rent money towards TAD/PAD and if you do later move anywhere else, you'll still have that air-purifier to help keep the air clean.
* Stay in the current space, switch back to Ennerdale (or anything else that isn't going to upset the other folks). Save the extra rent towards TAD/PAD, you'll just have to be extra careful about smoking burleys and the like.
* Get the bigger office. Depending on the size, accessibility and your willingness... Start a Smoking Club and open it up to anyone else in the rental-spaces to also come and smoke, for a membership fee. That'll help offset the fees and you might end up making a buddy or 2.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Actually, the $9.09 is ruining for me! I can afford it, but I am a cheap bastard and that's a tin of tobacco!

You're missing the point- get a good accountant- you're writing off the $9.09, so if you're making money, the net cost after tax is around $5.40. Write off your tobacco as office supplies, and you may actually come out making money before it's all over with....(Or possibly in jail for tax evasion, where you'll be cured of your evil nicotine addicted behavior....)

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I think I'm going to do it. The first 3 years of my business I worked from home. Back in those days, wife let me smoke in my office, and I did- all day long with my pipe. Last 4 years, I haven't been able to (technically), but a few weeks ago, landlord made the offer and told me he didn't care if I smoked in there, and got me thinking.
Glad you guys understand! Some damn good points. An argument could be made that I will easily make that $9 per day by not taking smoke breaks outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.