PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I saw the thread about the worst tobaccos so I thought it would be fun and interesting to hear about the worst pipe you ever smoked.
For me it has to be a BC. I went to Paris and left my pipe case at home by accident, so I went into a pipe shop. About the only thing they sold was BC (made in France) so in despiration I bought one. That was the nastiest smoking thing I ever put in my mouth. I was determined to give it a chance so I smoked it now and then over time to break it in. No go. I didn't have the heart to pass it on to some other unsuspecting pipe guy, so I finally chucked it.
I haven't smoked one but I suspect this thing would be a contender for worst pipe. Take a look and let us know if you're going to buy one. lol
http://www.epuffer.com/eshop/e-pipe.html

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
wow that epuffer sounds horrible!

1. no smoke

2. fake smoke tastes like cigarettes (lovely)

3. needs batteries

what the hell it this world coming to?

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
duh i forgot my worst pipe. don't make fun of my ignorance for buying this pipe, i was very new to pipe smoking. I bought the pipe pictured here off ebay a while back http://cgi.ebay.com/Stone-Classic-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Collection-/270629140014?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f02c0f62e (I only paid a third of what is advertised here)

This pipe was listed as a "stone classic tobacco pipe" bullsh!t. first off, it's plastic, with a metal lined bowl. second, while it looks pretty cool, it's not functional. This is clearly a weed pipe. since weed is smoked in small quantities, i would imagine it doesn't generate as much total heat, nor does it burn continuously. when exposed to a decent ammount of burning tobacco for a fairly long smoking session, the metal bowl must have expanded more than it was designed to, and now the metal bowl no longer sits right in the plastic body of the pipe. air now draws around the bowl rather than thru it, so it is no longer smokeable after one use.
i bought another crappy pipe from hong kong at the same time that is a bit nicer, but no longer seems to get any draw. bottom line, i will try to buy from reputable brands rather than decietful foreign countries who mislead you with their broken english descriptions.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
spacecowboy57, Don't feel too bad, we all make mistakes and besides, you're getting smarter! The last thing you want is metal coming in contact with the smoke. What happens when hot air or smoke hit's cold metal? Condensation, which is not good for a smooth smoke. There are some cheap pipes which have metal "plumbing" inside that is supposed to catch moisture. Actually, they just help create more moisture and add to the problem.
By the way, the reason doppers use metal or glass pipes is because (they think) they can wash them and not leave behind any "evidence".

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My worst has to be a cheap nasty cob I picked up years ago. Don't know who made it. Didn't have an MM sticker. Made a nice addition to the tinder in the campfire though!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
"Charatan's make" bulldog. Thing smoked so hot that the wax bubbled and peeled off. Etailer actually refunded my money but replaced the pipe with a Bjarne apple that did the same thing. I took a scotchbrite pad to the pipe and removed what remained of the scorched wax. That pipe has provided good smokes ever since.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Hey ohin3, That's unusual for a Charatan, they made some fine pipes. Anyone know if the company has changed hands in recent years? (I'm too lazy to research it.)

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I recently won some inexpensive estate briars. they were cheap but reliable brands, dr grabow and medico. I have never had a problem with a dr grabow, even the one i bought for 6 bucks, it was well worth the money.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I had several Charatan's make from the Lane era and didn't care for any except one. I gifted it to a newbie. He still has it and likes it alot.

On to the orginal queston. Worst pipe was a Peterson System Standard 307 from 1998. It had that plastic coating on the bowl and smoked hot as the devil. Some 600 grit, a good buff, a 5/32" drill for the smoke hole and it smokes like a dream now.

colonelmcmuf

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2010
I've only had one bad pipe buy, It was my only ebay pipe. Labeled a Meerschaum, it was actually a poor quality clay. Tasted horrible. Then not two seconds after lighting up the stem broke in half. Looks like it was super glued. Needless to say I was peeved. Got my money back (thank goodness) and the man told me to keep the pipe. Most likely didn't want to loose any more money on the scam.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
OK....
Here's my worst pipe.

Quite possibly the worst pipe ever manufactured.

The Jobey Sunburst Filter:
JobeySunburstfiltera.jpg

JobeySunburstfilter.jpg

Nuff said.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I picked up a new GBD billard not long ago and she will just not stay lit . We are talking 12 relights a bowl and never smokes to the botttom . Has to be the draft hole . But I dont want to mess with it until it builds a cake . At wits end .ARRRRRGHHHHHHH

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I have a list of worst pipes ever.
Clay pipes, hot, hot, hot!

MM Cherry and maple pipes Just as hot.

Most Meers, not all but most smoke hot to me

Any pipe that comes from China, trash

Nylon pipes that come under many names like Brylon,just smoke terrible and are hot!

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I purchased a Chinese cob a few weeks back. I am too afraid to smoke it in fear of it spontaneously combusting. As far as briars go I haven't had one I hated but some were less stellar than others.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
This thread is starting to become interesting. I think we can all see that our experiences are different. If the thread goes far enough I'm sure almost no brand will be left out. Jobey, really? I'm surprised, I have several and always thought they were quite good, especially considering the price. Just goes to show ya...

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Hands down the worst pipe I ever smoked was a Mark Tinsky American Smoking Pipe. I bought it after I started working at a pipe shop and it was expensive at the time, $75 twenty five years ago. It tasted bad, smoked wet and in all was a grand turd. It was so bad, I made sure we never ordered any more Tinsky's at that or the other two shops I worked at.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Searock,
I've got a Butz Choquin and it smoked extremely hot. It was a dress pipe and I eventually came to the conclusion that I'd either remove the finish or toss it. Removing the finish was a big improvement. It's the one pipe that I use for aros now.
The B*C and a Chacom I own have pretty much made me decide that I'll avoid anything to come out of St. Claude.
Here's the pipe:
BC.jpg

Ohin3,
I've aired enough grievances here about my luck with Bjarne Viking Classics that any more would be redundant.

May 19, 2010
Worst smoking pipe I have had so far is a Bjarne Plateaux Briar Freehand that I picked up while I still lived in NC. I love the grain and the design and in my bedazlement I forgot to try running a pipe cleaner through the thing before I bought it. -.- cant get a pipe cleaner through to the bowl to save my life and the things smokes wet after about ten minutes. I am sure it has something to do with the draft whole but I just don't have enough experience to figure out what the hell it is.

bjarne1.jpg

bjarne2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.