PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I've spent over $170 today, which brings my weekly total up to about $225. I have to stop! It started off slowly, "Well that's a great deal, only $27 I can swing that". Then it developed a little further "$40, what a steal!". It then got out of control. "Karl Erik Handmade? I MUST HAVE IT!" I'm sneaking my tablet into the bathroom to bid on items. The last item that I won, I was actually crossing my fingers and hoping/praying that someone would outbid me. That being said, I love my pipes! :D

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I agree with neverbend, but I see where Flea-Bay can become quite addictive. "Just rim darkening I can get that out a good polish, stem oxidation no prob!" Then that guy who waits until the last 30 sec. :evil:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
eBay strategies, many ways to skin a cat ... or snipe an auction for a killer price at the last moment. If you aren't doing it you aren't winning, unless you bid way high to combat that guy.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think many of us suffer from the disorder
I know I have enough pipes to last me a lifetime -but...
It doesn't help/hurt that by hanging out here and getting to know each other we're rubbing shoulders with the worst kind of enablers on the planet... It takes strong wills, and bank accounts, to read through all the PAD threads.
PS @deathandtaxes I have this lovely Jobey Dansk 2 (a Karl Erik pipe) that I just cleaned up which clearly has your name on it. :wink:
-- Pat

Jan 8, 2013
I have dodged the ebay bullet for a while now, but it is only a matter of time. I bid a few times, but haven't won anything. If your winning, and getting good deals, why stop? If you can afford to do it, you might as well. I lost a couple of pipes that I still wish I would have bid higher on.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I set out with the intention of getting a good deal, then sometimes let the enthusiasm over take me, as I did with the Karl Erik. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful pipe. I am very fond of Danish Freehands. I usually research the heck out of purchases. I spend hours trolling this forum and others to see what others have to say about a potential purchase. But this one, this one was different. I saw it, it was beautiful! I clicked bid now with about 40 or so minutes left on the auction. No researching, no meticulous background checks ect. I was sure that I would be outbid with such a low bid on what I considered a work of art. I went about my business, purchased a 60's Stanwell and then a J.M. Boswell Free hand. It's then that I realized that I had this bid still out on the Karl Erik. No worries, someone would surely outbid me. Nobody did though, I was happy and sad at the same time. I think I was emotionally distraught because in life, I'm very logical, hence all of the research that I do prior to making a purchase. I (until now) never purchase an item on impulse. When it happended I guess it kind of shocked me. Who is this guy that's bidding? Anyways, are you guys billing me by the hour (stretches out on the couch)? :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi death,
You are in the grip of a chronic disease that only becomes more acute as time goes on. And that's the good news. One day it's 40 bucks on a decent burner, then it's a couple of hundred bucks on a slightly more decent burner, and before you know it, Spot is looking at you wanting to know where Little Timmy went, not knowing that Little Timmy was sold for organs to pay for that Bo Nordh. But you know that the Nordh will give you more pleasure than Little Timmy is ever likely to. And you don't have to worry about the Nordh knocking up some bimbo at a drunken Frat party.
Sniping is a fact for eBay, but it's not eBay's fault, it's just human nature to look for an edge or to try to find an angle. And sniping can be about the dumbest financial ploy ever designed by humans, as I've see time after time after time on eBay. It's very amusing to watch dueling snipers "win" an item at a cost of three to ten times market price. Sniping is terrific for sellers, and a sucker play for buyers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The best cure for PAD is TAD. I made a conscious effort to finish my cellar and limited my pipe buying to a large extent. Now that my cellar is finished, I will only buy a pipe if it meets a very strict set of criteria. It has to be an artisan made pipe by certain artisans. It has to be a certain shape, must be a certain size and weight, it has to have a hand cut stem made of vulcanite that I know will be extremely comfortable. I have to get the pipe for a price that I feel is a great deal. This limits my options big time so I rarely buy a pipe lately. I never buy a pipe based on looks alone, I buy pipes based on how it will smoke my flakes and then I will look to see if it is something I like the looks of. If you stick to a very strict set of criteria, you might find yourself buying a lot less pipes.
It took me a number of years before I developed this strategy and I bought so many pipes based on looks that really did not fit my smoking style. I wasted a lot of money on pipes that just did not work for me. I smoked pipes that were just ok because I was invested in them. I finally learned that quality is better than quantity. I would much rather have 10 great artisan or higher end factory pipes than 50 just so so pipes. At one time I had over 75 pipes in my collection and now I own 32 awesome smoking artisan pipes and am much happier with the smoking experience I get from the fewer pipes. My tobacco has never tasted as good as it does now with the pipes in my collection. I was amazed at how a pipe can make a blend I liked become a blend that is sublime. A good pipe can make a huge difference in how a blend smokes in comparison to just a so so pipe. If I had been a member of this site back in 2000 when I began smoking a pipe, I would have saved tons of money and made so many fewer pipe buying mistakes.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I have definitely experienced the EDS. I usually fire at about 7 seconds to account for lag and latency. I like your 4 second rule though, it makes sense.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I got you beat, deathandtaxes. I've reached the terminal stage of PAD with this pipe below; I am doomed. There was no question about postponing getting this pipe, an estate Castillo Sea Rock--it was like love, which makes fools of us all, at first sight. I spent $200 for this little darling, about $35 more than I've ever spent for a pipe--I had to bend my credit card to the task, because there was no waiting. I'm doomed, I say again, doomed!

004-006-10308.jpg
004-006-10308.jpg

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Worth every penny in my opinion! I only have one Italian made pipe, a Savinelli. My mother got it for while in Italy. I wanted to be impressed with it, but it just doesn't smoke like my danish pipes. The Castillo on the other hand, is breathtaking!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been smoking this pipe for a couple of days now: I can say with utter certitude that this is the finest pipe I've ever smoked, better than anything is my admittedly small collection. It's easily worth twice the price, although I could never actually spend that kind of money, even on credit.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oh no, an estate from Smoking Piipes. I took a look at other Castello pipes and apparently these pipes are on the upper echelon of price and quality, starting at about $350 and up. I couldn't afford that if the pipe I got was the Holy Grail. I saw the pipe by pure accident; I was scrolling idly through SP's estates and saw this pipe at $200. I was so charmed by the concept of a pipe carved out of volcanic subsea rock, with the translucent stem of sea green, that I immediately bought the pipe, worried if it would be a good smoker. After reading some links that were relayed to me, I discovered Castello is a very good brand, and indeed, this pipe is extraordinary. I think providence was on my side that day. I wonder what it would have cost new?

Status
Not open for further replies.