PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PuffingWalrus

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Brattleboro VT
Title edited to add caps and expand meaning. See Rule 9, please! -jpm

I am looking for a good work horse briar pipe for my morning smokes when I am doing my morning garden and yard work (also shoveling out my car before the kids go to school). Ive been looking at Petersons Arons but im such a peet geek that i feel like i would still baby it to much. any recommends for a good smoking pipe that can take some abuse ?

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Depends on the shape that works for you? For just messing around I like a Peterson “short” - have an 80s, an 03 and a 999. Fill a couple and go! I have a full size old 999 and 998 that are still pretty compact and the 998 must be a “workhorse” because I say that every time I post it, lol.

PuffingWalrus

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Brattleboro VT
Would you consider a cob? They're pretty durable and not so precious that you'd ever feel the need to baby one. They're light and clenchable, ideal for keeping hands free.
I use a couple cobs for this purpose and agree 100% with what you say. My "country gent" is my favorite for this type of thing. I just really want to add a few briars to the mix for work pipes.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Buy an inexpensive Peterson - perhaps a rusticated style - and smoke the ever living bejesus out of it. Smoke it like you stole it. Abuse it, drop it, chew the stem, handle it with greasy filthy hands, let it cake up like you hate it and intend to destroy it as quickly as possible. Rinse, repeat.

That’s what millions of people around the world have done and they loved every minute of it.

Assuming you can actually destroy the pipe (possible but not easy) you’ll probably discover it cost you something like .13 cents per day or less, which seems perfectly acceptable to me and quite likely a lot less than the cost of the matches, lighters and tobacco you consumed in the process.

Can’t really see how you could go wrong here …?

Just my thoughts on it. YMMV.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm probably in the minority on this, but any well-made briar can function well as a workhorse pipe, provided it meets your ergonomic standards and/or isn't some highly valued collector's item or artisan piece. Briar is tough, and many smokers grossly overestimate what a drop in the back lawn will do to it.

Your primary issue is rarely the briar, but the stem. And, coincidentally enough, you consider yourself a Pete geek. The reason that is a coincidence is because Peterson is one of the big name commercial manufacturers of pipes that use army mounts. That means their stems are easily replaced, which is the thing most likely to break should you drop your pipe during your chores. Get a cheap straight stem Pete. A rusticated one goes cheap, and a straight stem is easiest to replace, clean, and repair. Just make sure it is an army mount.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Peterson Irish Made Army line is what I use when I don't want to jeopardize my other pipes. Usually 999 or 80s. I'm partial to bulldog and Rhodesian shapes. Benefits of these army mounts include taking apart while smoking. I don't like any sign of moisture, so if I think there's any moisture in the stem or around mortise, just yank out the stem and run cleaner through.

Reactions: Coreios and edger
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I didn't realize this when I bought mine in college, but the Dr Grabow Omega is the only one of their models with an army mount. They're more expensive than mine was 20 years ago, but what isn't? It takes a licking...

---

For the same price, you might consider a Dr Grabow Lark if you want something for shorter smoke breaks. If I didn't already have a bunch of pipes with small bowls, I'd add one to my collection!

Last edited:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Consider a pre-Cadogan/1980 Orlik deluxe or Prince regent or Byford. You can get these NOS on eBay from time to time for $20. If you don’t mind cleaning up an estate pipe, keep an eye out for one of their higher grades (Corona, supreme, virgin or old bond street) just to guarantee a hand cut stem. While my deluxes have these, it varies from pipe to pipe.