PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Starsman

Lurker
Mar 29, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I was missing a key bit of information that helped me so I'm posting it. Bowl was getting hot and I had a lot of dottle. Changed how I packed, how fast I smoked (a few bowls took 4 hours) but nothing seemed to help with the hot bowl plus I had a lot of tongue bite. I even posted about dumping ash. So here is my eureka moment and it seems so simple. I was tamping after lighting but not after. I started just tamping down the ash. Not compressing the tobacco but just pushing the ash down. At least for me this made a huge difference. Less relights and I've smoked my first bowl with almost no dottle and no hot smoke. Half a dozen bowls this way and I am a believer. Anyway that's my experience. Rock on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I was missing a key bit of information that helped me so I'm posting it. Bowl was getting hot and I had a lot of dottle. Changed how I packed, how fast I smoked (a few bowls took 4 hours) but nothing seemed to help with the hot bowl plus I had a lot of tongue bite. I even posted about dumping ash. So here is my eureka moment and it seems so simple. I was tamping after lighting but not after. I started just tamping down the ash. Not compressing the tobacco but just pushing the ash down. At least for me this made a huge difference. Less relights and I've smoked my first bowl with almost no dottle and no hot smoke. Half a dozen bowls this way and I am a believer. Anyway that's my experience. Rock on.
Thats great! Which tobacco did you smoke?

Reactions: pitchfork and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes I pack the pipe with my thumb so I can feel exactly how tightly packed it is, not too tight, so there is space for air and fire for the ember. Only if the pieces are a little big or in different sizes do I press a little with the tamper to even up the leaf. Then, yes, keep the burning ember lightly tamped, or tamp before relight, not too hard.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
As another newbie, I agree completely and this echoes my aha moment as well. Becoming one with the tamper has made a huge difference (I am not "one" yet, but at least I am not clueless about it anymore). I personally think too much attention is put on packing methods and not enough on tamping. If you pack a bit loose (as long as the pack is reasonably uniform), you can tamp your way into the zone. Obviously, if you pack too tight you are doomed from the git-go to have a bad smoke.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My finger was so much more convenient than a tamper. Although the tamper added a touch of accomplishment, as if I had all the right tools, I had to bring it to where I was smoking and reach for it, and put it back, after every use.

Fingers, on the other hand, were always on hand.

Jan 5, 2020
Sometimes I pack the pipe with my thumb so I can feel exactly how tightly packed it is, not too tight, so there is space for air and fire for the ember. Only if the pieces are a little big or in different sizes do I press a little with the tamper to even up the leaf. Then, yes, keep the burning ember lightly tamped, or tamp before relight, not too hard.

yup, I use my index finger for it. I always know when it’s just right that way.

Reactions: Lyle b and jpmcwjr
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
As another newbie, I agree completely and this echoes my aha moment as well. Becoming one with the tamper has made a huge difference (I am not "one" yet, but at least I am not clueless about it anymore). I personally think too much attention is put on packing methods and not enough on tamping. If you pack a bit loose (as long as the pack is reasonably uniform), you can tamp your way into the zone. Obviously, if you pack too tight you are doomed from the git-go to have a bad smoke.
Packing was a thing that took me a little time to learn. I was greedy and wanted as much in there as i could. I finally figured out its better to pack loose and tamp and smoke another bowl than to fit with a bowl packed to tight

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congratulations, it is a big deal when we find something that really works well for you. Keep enjoying your tobacco.

AN ah ha moment came to me when I switched tampers. I had been using a standard metal one and then changed to one of my dried Placenta tampers. I fought tooth and nail with the doctor but was able to sneak some when he wasn't looking. Am I a genius or what?

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Congratulations, it is a big deal when we find something that really works well for you. Keep enjoying your tobacco.

AN ah ha moment came to me when I switched tampers. I had been using a standard metal one and then changed to one of my dried Placenta tampers. I fought tooth and nail with the doctor but was able to sneak some when he wasn't looking. Am I a genius or what?
Just wait until you get your sweaty paws on a tamper crafted from rare fossilized Siberian walrus phallus. It'll put the punch in yer pouch, let me tell you.

Reactions: jpmcwjr