PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple Man

Lurker
Sep 23, 2019
All,

I want to first say after observing your forum for a while I am happy to have finally joined. With that in mind I am rather new to the discussion and have limited knowledge as to the art which is pipe restoration. I have a beautiful 12” briarwood church warden that utilizes briar for both the bowl and stem. I have read a fair bit of what others have had to say about refinishing bowls but wanted to inquire as to what considerations should be made when refinishing (restaining ) the stem. The stem is currently ombré with a beautiful brown bowl which accentuates the grain. I would like to restain both bowl and stem. If you could be so kind as to point me in the right direction as to process and materials I would be quite grateful! Thank you in advance!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Restaining the stem...I wouldn't. You're going to be putting it in your mouth...If anything I would just finely sand it and use some food safe oil to bring out the grain.

Simple Man

Lurker
Sep 23, 2019
Thank you! I was thinking I may end up going that route being that I can't find a food safe stain. Would you recommend giving it a carnauba buff beings that it is a wood stem...in addition to the oil? As far as oil goes, Ive seen quite a bit about using "boiled" linseed oil, would this suffice for the briar stem?

Status
Not open for further replies.