PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acadianangler

Lurker
Apr 14, 2014
Is there a wooden match that does not have the sulpher smell. I find by the time I get the match far enough away it has burned up the match and don't have time to get it lit well.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Personally, I gave up on them sometime ago and I hate them. When you have to re-lite at a half bowl or so the flame obviously rides up at the angle you have to use and you end up burning your fingers, and or scorching the rim of the bowl. Just give me a freaking good quality pipe lighter and I'm a happy camper. :wink:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The Swan Vesta wooden match was the go-to pipe specific match to use back in the day. Very clean, odor and tasteless. I don't believe they around anymore save for some knock off manufacture. The conventional strike on box ones work fine if you give them a second to flare and burn off some of the crap and the ones you get from the cigar shops seem a little better than the kitchen type, IMO. If you are that sensitive to the sulphur than I'd suggest a butane soft flame and that includes the Bic. I go back and forth, when I'm inside, I prefer the match, outside, the Bic.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
A wooden match is the best way to get that first light. The sulfur will burn off almost immediately, but the smell will linger a few seconds in the air. Go ahead and use the match as soon as the head stops sputtering.

Mar 1, 2014
When it was -20C outside I was finding that only about 1 in 5 matches would light, and butane becomes completely liquid at 0C and thus loses all pressure, so my Bic also didn't work. Eventually I discovered that I need to spin the match as the head burns or the wood won't catch.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
The diamond strike on box works best for me.Try not to get the ones with that green tip.They taste like shizzz.Get the regular style.I also get the extra long matches they last longer for a better light.I find them here at our wal-mart stores for a few dollars a box.I think it has like 300 matches or something like that.happy puffs.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I use SeaDog matches from Sweden for starting a bowl, they have no discernible taste to me and burn well. For relights tho I have to agree with phil67, a lighter cannot be beat!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I only use wooden matches. Last I checked, Swan Vestas are still around, but you really have to hunt for them -- or pick them up from Amazon. They are sulfur-free.
But I don't have any problem using long kitchen matches -- or cigar matches -- and letting the head burn away before putting match to bowl.
Bob

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Another +1 for Diamond brand long wood matches.
Also, if you smoke near a candle, they can be used a second time.
It's those half-matches lit in the candle that are really perfect for the re-lights.

acadianangler

Lurker
Apr 14, 2014
Thank you for all the insight.I am a purist of sorts and like using the match.I like to make pipe smoking an experience not just a smoke.I doubt if those matches are available in Canada.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The good old Red Bird matches all the way for me. Especially the ones that come in the box of 250 as they are longer than the pocket sized packs and tend to burn better.

acadianangler

Lurker
Apr 14, 2014
Any Canadian guys know if we can get these Swan Vestas matches here. Or can we order these online from The USA?

Dec 24, 2012
Acadian, if you are in Canada the Red Bird matches are everywhere (at least here in Ontario). They are really good.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I remember the match being very frustrating at first, I don't think I could light a puddle of gas with one, let alone a pipe. But, after a few months, it just clicked.
On the last ISPD, one of my buddies had a box of Vesta's. I didn't find them to be anything special or better than my Diamond strike on box. They were larger, but that seemed a waste as I only used a fraction of the match. I definitely wouldn't seek them out or buy them via mail order.

Status
Not open for further replies.