PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Scored this nice lot of 7 meerschaum pipes on ebay yesterday. I noticed from the poor grainy photograph that two of them were Petersons and another was either CAO or SMS. After asking a few questions to the seller he sent me a few more photographs and verified the two Petersons, the SMS and advised the two ornate pipes were signed Tekin (which is Tekin Uzkesici) and the remaining two had no markings. After shipping each pipe averaged out to be $24 each. Excellent find, but I'll know for sure once the pipes are in hand.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm gonna take a look at them in detail, clean them up a bit if needed and then determine what to do from there. I'm mainly interested in the bent Tekin and the egg and claw which is why I bid on the auction. I'll most likely sell off 3 buy maybe 5. I'll have to decide after really looking at them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very nice haul!
I have a pipe that was gifted me from a friend who lives in London but is half Greek, goes there several times a year. It's close to the bottom pipe in "Unknown". I suspect mine is not block. Could pressed meer be formed into pipe shapes, similar to casting plastic or plaster molds?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@doctorbob - I'm keeping the top Tekin as that one, the Peterson Sherlock Holmes Bulldog and the egg and claw were mainly the reason for bidding on the auction. It's definitely a beautiful pipe and its in great shape. Besides the three mentioned I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the other 4 pipes or not. They may go back up for auction after a little cleaning.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Just got done cleaning all 7 pipes. Very well cared for pipes and really clean. No gunk built up in the stems/shanks, and minimal cake in the bowls that cleaned up well. No tooth chatter and the stems fit securely. Other than the 2 Peterson pipes with the oxidized stems they were all in great shape on arrival. The previous owner really took nice care of these pipes. I'm very pleased!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's quite a lot! A whale of a price. it might work out to pay for the ones that you want with the ones that you sell. That would be a deal.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
hi metalheadycigarguy
would you consider selling the bent Pete? Thought I might ask....

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@londonmake - I'm really undecided at the moment what to do with these pipes. I know I'm keeping the Deerstalker Sherlock Holmes Peterson, the Tekin with the dragon and from there I'm really don't know. These pipes are all in such great condition, and didn't need hardly any clean up. Very minimal cake, no gunk in the shanks/stems, no tooth chatter on the stems, and they all appear to have a good coating of wax on them. The previous owner really took care of his/her pipes well. I'm gonna sit on these for a bit until I know for sure what I want to do. I appreciate the interest, and if I do decide to sell any I'll post a thread on the forums.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
For those interested, I've listed a few of the meerschaum pipes from above on that one site for sale. I've got three listed, and I'm keeping three. The bent billiard Peterson I'm undecided on at the moment, so for the time being I'm not smoking it but its not listed either. Of the three I've kept, they're all great smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.