PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Last week I bid on 2 estate pipes and won the auction.

Today they showed up in the mail.

A Dr Grabow and a KBB Yello Boll both in non smoking condition with the stems froze on both.

I have gotten both stems off and will start a resto on the KBB first in the Pipe Repair and Maintenance Forum.
Looking forward to working on these and getting to smoke them when I am done !!!
Mark

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Grand old U.S. factory pipes. They look as if they can be revived, but don't sound too good. If the stems came off undamaged, they can likely be revived. The Dr. Grabow may smoke better with a Savenelli adaptor instead of a paper filter or just leaving the filter out, if you find the draw too open. They're both nicely done traditional shapes.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I was reading up on the Yello Boles and the older,better ones are supposed to be the ones with KBB stamped on them.

I was happy to get the stems off although the KBB put up quite a fight.

There is a thread started on the resto of the KBB now. Lots of gunk and I can see now that pipe cleaners should be bought by the hundreds!
Mark

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Lots of gunk and I can see now that pipe cleaners should be bought by the hundreds!
Brushes! Shank brushes and other similar but slightly larger brushes. Use two jars of alcohol. Dip the brush in alcohol,scrub--rinse the brush,scrub,rinse..... When you have most of the gunk out switch to the other jar of alcohol and use Q-tips and pipe cleaners. You can save and re-use that dirty alcohol--just use clean alcohol for the final cleaning.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Beware! My wife always steals my brushes for cleaning.
You don't want them back after that.
Looking forward to seeing them all cleaned up. I worked on a stem today for awhile....my sore hands remind me why I hate vulcanite.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Glad you're here, Wolfie.
I got into serious piping buying dead man pipes, but you'll learn the craft and make great friends along the way.
In the meantime, tobacco is key. Start building your cellar. Tobacco will never get cheaper.
Fnord

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
My brushes will be down in the ManCave, so no worries about losing things from there.LOL
Thanks for the info Dave, I would like to find out how old exactly if there is a way to do that. The stampings are very crisp except on the word Bole, but I could still read it.
Thanks fnord, I love doing things like this. I'm the same way with my vintage stereos, I would rather buy a non working equipment and bring them back to life.
I have already ordered some tobacco,not a whole lot because I am new to this and trying to figure out what I like, I should have enough to last me for little while.

I won't have a cellar full like some people here, but I plan on having some different brands around.
Come to think of it, I said that with my stereos too. Now I have so much equipment that I have run out of room and am selling some off just because I really don't need it all.

None of my 800 albums will ever be for sale though........... :wink:
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.