Wokking Up Some Japchae - Fun with the Wok. (Short Video)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
He was big in the 80's. Pretty good sense of humor. If you can find the frog legs episode, it's hilarious.

Anyway, his interaction with the audience was the great feature, in my opinion. That guy made you feel like you were in the kitchen with him and he was fun to be around.

Keeping food fun and light seemed to have made him famous.

It's a bit of a contrast to how serious cooking can sometimes seem today with all of the gadgetry, precise measuring, exact timing, etc.

That cleaver needed to be sharpened, so he used the handy stone surface on the bottom of the plate! Today, someone would be more likely to pull out a $250 wet stone to sharpen their $500 knife and have a heart attack if either fell to the floor.

That's definitely not Yan's style...

I was taught how to sharpen knives on the bottom of a plate by a friend and that's all I use now. Works great if the bottom is smooth. I use a concrete floor to sharpen a machete as well. It just works. Sharp enough to cut down a tree with, anyway.

I have a hunch that a lot of people would flock to a reboot of wok with Yan. Fun cooking without taking it all a little too serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.