PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Just 4 inches. Not much compared to a lot of you guys, but already the 3rd snow this month. Here 30 miles west of St Louis we don't have winters like we used to. Not since the winter of 81/82 when we had 20 inches in one day. It's Black Frigate and coffee for breakfast.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No substantial snow here in Central Kentucky yet, but did wake up to an ice covered car. Black Frigate and an Irish coffee to hopefully knock me back out for a few hours before work.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Apparently they're forecasting our next snow here in Maine will start around 01:00 tomorrow morning, to drop anywhere from several inches of slush (near the coast) to a foot of snow on our mountains. Right here in Greene, in between those two areas, it's anybody's guess what we'll have to contend with once we wake up.
As some might say: YSWV (Your Snowfall Will Vary). I remember one storm here several years ago where the snowfall totals from town-to-neighboring-town was ridiculously different (by over a foot in some cases) all over the place.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
screenshot_20181115-121507-600x375.jpg

hopefully it all melts before Saturday so the lights can go up

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
We get about 30" of snow a year usually between Thanksgiving and March 31st. So far it had snowed twice in November before the Bird is on the Table. But they have both been rather light - maybe 3 inches total. The early snows don't bode well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With all the rain here lately, I feel we're stealing someone's snow. It's finally sunny today and for the weekend.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Winter Storm Avery dumped 7" of snow and ice on us on Thursday. There's still some on the ground.

Granddaughter "Avery" lands in Maryland in a few hours, so part 2 of the storm hits! She's never seen snow before, so I can't wait to see here eyes. Its melting fast, but we'll still have some she can play in (she is 2).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We get socked in with snow in Central North Carolina, but usually on into late December or January. It usually melts completely in a few days before anything else falls. Ice is the real nemesis here. Just a quarter of an inch can glaze the highways for 24 hours and keep the side roads skating rink slick for a few days. We just don't have the fleets of trucks -- we have some, salting and plowing, etc., but it isn't cost effective to have the numbers considered required further north. We have people who never learn to drive in ice and snow, and then we have people from snow areas who don't understand the lesser treatments our roads get, and both sets of people are dangerous. Sometimes it's better to just lay low. This is taken as lack of hardiness by people in other regions ... who may come here and spin out on the first hill or curve.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The snow was mostly melted by Sunday, but we had enough to dress the young lady up in her new snow suit and snow boots. She fought the suit and hat, and refused to wear the gloves. That took about 20 minutes. She was outside about 3 minutes flat, put her hands in the snow and started crying. Back inside. The NOLA girl is not a fan of the white stuff.
46439062_10156754779599920_550128479610339328_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy, a snow baby. She looks completely interested in this slippery stuff underfoot. What fun. It's all brand new.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, I see from the text that she wasn't so happy with the snow as she looks in the photo. Maybe a second visit will go better. The pic makes her look quite involved and intent ... I guess before she started crying. I grew up with snow, but some days it makes me a little weepy too, skimming of the ice when possible and salting down the sloping driveway. Ugh.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
It's snowed three times here, too, but there's been little accumulation--an inch or less each time. I haven't had to shovel yet.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It sounds like time to reprise a poem I wrote with pipe in hand, while reflecting on a snowfall. :puffy:
Every child should be raised where snow falls

For snowball fights from snow forts,

And snowmen with corncob pipes and carrot noses,

And sleds and sleighs and skates and skis,

And playing "King of the Mountain" on a plowed-up pile,

And making snow angels;
And the wonder in looking up on a silvery night

As fluffy flakes reflect moonbeams and float down

To tickle eyelashes and do their magic with trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.