Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

byzcath

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2010
I want to experience a Meerschaum pipe. I have to go through an on-line store, since I have nothing near me. For a first one, can anyone suggest a brand, type, etc.? Thanks!
-Fr. Ron

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Fr.,

Fred seems to be the de facto expert on this, but I can say that I received an expensive meer as a gift, and concern about marring it in some way -- every time I pick it up -- generates a level of angst that vitiates the pleasure of smoking. Think inexpensive. That's my 2¢.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I too want to try a Meer, but I am afraid I will break it! So I think I am going to buy a cheap one like Cortez suggested and if I enjoy it look for a better quality meer...

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have had real good luck with estate meerschaums. Avoid the cheapie pipes you see on fleabay though. Inexperienced carvers using inferior materials, in my not overly humble opinion.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I'm not an expert on Meerschaums, but for years have considered myself a serious

student of these Pipes. Fr. Ron, have you read the article on the Meerschaum

Experience? What is it that you expect from a Pipe and what is the price you

are willing to pay for it? Without knowledge of these Pipes, it's unwise to

shop for 'bargains' on e-bay. The estate Meerschaum market is a greater risk to

the Buyer, which is what the second article addresses. Reputable Sellers exist, but

they do not sell 'cheap' Pipes, because their reputation means more to them than the

sale of any Pipe, and 'cheap' Meerschaums are made from substandard materials, such

as: pressed or resin Meerschaum, clay, Plaster of Paris and even plastic coated with

Meerschaum dust. The Meerschaum Experience article discusses what to look for, when

considering a purchase and provides a list of reputable sources. Over the years,

I've learned that it's really a personal choice that the Buyer must make when a

selection of any Pipe is to be made, just as it's personal choice that will lead

you to buy certain blends to smoke. If you find a Pipe that you like but it's out

of your budget, then save your money to get it because buying a 'cheap' Meerschaum

is throwing your money to a bad experience. Let us know what you think and what

questions you might have about the article. It was written for people who want to

know the basics that will enable them to make good choices.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have one meer, an Altinok one. I can recommend their store, the customer service was really good and friendly. As for the pipe itself it is really nice. Smoking a meer sort of removes the pipe-taste some briars give. It is more focused on the actual tobacco. I wish I could afford more meers.
4904205766_6df7c2f258.jpg

As you can see, I didn't go for a fancy hula-girl carving or "old mans head" or anything like that. It is starting to have a good coloring to it now.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It is a huge pipe. I can easily pack three or four rubbed out flakes in it. One big chunk of block meerschaum :D.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Bubba, you already have one wife, and I doubt you could find another for that price.

But you can get yourself a good "starter" Meer for that.
:)
Fr. Ron, Bubba, you fella's might try The Briary. Skip had several very nice pipes in bubba"s range and up, including a kind of Calbash/Churchwarden Meer that is might pretty. I don't see it on the site but it was in the show case about a week ago or so, going for $100.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Sinan provides a wide range of Pipes that also use the IMP style bit-to-shank

connector, as Baki uses as well. Personal preference dictates the meaning of

'best' to the Buyer. The sources I've included in the article are all reputable.

A source for IMP that I've used is http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/imp/index.cfm

as well as Kenan's e-bay store. Sinan sells on e-bay and has his own web site:

http://altinokpipe.com/ Baki's Pipes can only be acquired from Deniz Ural:

http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/coverpage.html which is also a source of Pipes

by other notable Carvers. SMS Meerschaums can be found here. I suggest the Premium

series... http://www.therightpipe.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.main

There should be something for just about every budget and preference in these sources.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If it's affordable, how about something custom-carved with a theme plucked from the artistically rich milieu of Byzantium?

Altinok offers to work from a sketch or photograph: a nice, meaningful mosaic or symbolic object would be pretty cool.

I wouldn't be so crass and sacrilegious as to suggest a Jesus-pipe, but a generic, bearded Archbishop might work.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You're welcome Bubbadreier. These are links to Sellers that I've had good

experience with and they serve to help Meerschaum neophytes to gain perspective

of what is available in quality Pipes. In the international Meerschaum trades,

'bargains' are generally too good to be genuine. I have spent nearly 2 years

bringing what knowledge and understanding of this cottage industry to people

who are interested. The unique qualities of the Meerschaum Pipe business are

among the reasons I agreed to start the All Things Meerschaum Group on Smoker's

Forum, when I was asked to do so by the SF Team. Kevin has made the link to this

available at the end of the Meerschaum Experience article. Membership is required

to have access to the last 2 years of discovery and evaluations, contained in

the sticky threads to spare it from periodic server purges, but the membership

is free. There's easily a couple of hours of reading preserved there, which is

available for those who want to learn more about these Pipes, where to get them,

how to care for them and the pleasures they provide. This is not a pulpit for

my views, but instead is a compilation of knowledge from Pipe smokers, Carvers,

Retailers and Scholars. The only requirement is that you have enough interest

to read what has been compiled. It's really like a hunt, as the information

has been scattered over time and different locations. Much has been lost. For me,

it has been a voyage of discovery, which has been made available to those with

the desire to learn more.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Not to be rude or anything, but isn't this slightly outdated (at therightpipe):
FREE VIDEO
"The Turkish Block Meerschaum Pipe"
Free with the purchase an SMS Meerschaum pipe.
$10 value. Quantities limited. VHS format.
---

I haven't seen a VHS video in a while.
The site itself has some awesome deals for pipes though. :)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Technically, from the standpoint of copyright, the government still sees VHS as a viable format. You can still purchase the players (even though you have to hunt to find an establishment that still carries them), so technically, a VHS tape isn't completely out-of-date. But to you and me, it's an obsolete format.
-Jason

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes Juni, the VHS is outdated and likely out of stock. It's a 20 minute color

film that had been sent to B&Ms, for product education as a sales assist. It

features a very young Beth & Sam Simet, who are SMS, and a very young Sadik

Yanik - who, even at the age of 14 was celebrated as an accomplished Master

Carver. If you get a chance to see it, it's worth the view.

Status
Not open for further replies.