PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I was originally going to title this more specifically to the Canadian pipe smokers, but there are many other parts of the world (including the U.S) where winters are harsh. So my question was, how many of you pipe smokers in winter climates of well below freezing still smoke pipes in the winter (if you're an out doors smoker)? I find myself smoking very little in the winters, as some days it can drop down to -40 (Fahrenheit or Celsius) or colder on the exceptional days. But average i'd say around -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) for the most of winter here. I can't smoke in the apartment, so my options are limited. If I was a cigarette smoker, it wouldn't matter, a few minutes in the blistering cold isn't so bad, but 30-45 minutes? I have to be bundled up a lot, and smoking then just becomes a chore. Alas, I smoke very minimally in winter.
How about the rest of you?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I get away with smoking downstairs in the rec room by the woodstove and the odd day off when the wife is away in the living room in my chair. If we had no kids she wouldn't care. I am self employed so lots of pipes in my truck to and from job sites. Lumber company that sort of thing in the winter.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have been telling myself for a long time that I need a really good smoke eater. Maybe this will be the winter I get one. :?:

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I'm fortunate to be granted permission to smoke in my basement man cave! It's always 69 degrees down there ;]

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I explained in an other thread that when it is below zero I keep the bowl in my hand to minimize the temp difference between the inner and outer wall of the pipe. When not smoking the pipe(s) are in a shirt pocket staying warm under the parka. The meers I do not smoke outside in winter, ever. A meer might see the light of day in the summer when I'm on the deck smoking ribs or some such.
I take walks with the dog and smoke the briar or a cob in temps down to the -20's. Colder than that, I bundle up, walk the dog to a dog acceptable spot on the property and we head back to the house as soon as he's emptied himself. The dog to refill and I to chase the chill with a cognac. For some reason I can handle down to -20, below that . . . it's just too damned cold.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My wife found him at the pound shortly after my beloved Golden went to the great duck pound in the sky. He's real treat. Didn't know until we had him that Labs never really grow up. Ten years old and still acts the pup. The nose will take full control now and then. But, he always comes when called . . . if he wants to.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Winters do make it tough - sorry to hear you have stop altogether. My wife will tolerate the occasional smoke indoors if I have a fan in the window. Once winter really sets though, that's not possible here in VT as single digits are commonplace and -20F in January isn't all that uncommon either.
On those really cold days I will smoke in the basement.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
I'm from Michigan, and last year I didn't smoke for about 3 months during the winter. I did this not only to stay warm (since I'm not aloud to smoke in the apartment,) but also to not ruin my pipes outside if the temperature was too cold. This year, I found a smoke shop with some AWESOME lounges, great people, comfy chairs, and flat screen TVs. They allow you to bring in drinks, as well. I plan on spending MANY afternoons and nights there this winter.
Smokey :puffy:

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Before I had an indoor smoking space I would suit up in boots, snowpants, parka, the whole nine yards to have my pipe. A thermos of tea helped too. Another tip is to keep your smoking chair inside, helps avoid frozen ass syndrome haha.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I only smoke 4-6 bowls a week anyway, but in the heat of summer or cold of winter, I slow down even more. I usually smoke in my garage with the door open, so when it gets really hot or cold, it can be unpleasant. Occasionally when my family will be gone for a few hours I will sneak a smoke in the house. Also, my family occasionally enjoys the room note of a holiday aromatic. Spring and Fall are definitely peak times for me.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I only smoke outside, which means either out for a lunt or on a porch someplace. Winter is no exception, although the clothing required changes dramatically. Having good clenching pipes is REALLY important for those bitter days.
-- Pat

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Facing my first winter as a piper. I have begun testing the waters for a pipe in the basement mancave and have not had a diffinitive "nyet" so I'm hopeful. As a plan B, I left some room the (uninsulated) tool shed when I put the summer stuff away. Gave her a test run today @ -3 or - 4 C and snowing and it was fine. Think I will be OK out there to about -10 C. But I'd rather be indoors in my comfy chair!

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Thankfully Oklahoma doesn't get that cold, we may have 1-2 big freezes a year but even then it doesn't get below the 10's F.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My main smoking space is my garage. I do smoke ocassionally in the house but not too often. Being in Texas, the winter is the only time of year the garage is comfortable. Because of that, I find myself smoking less in the summer months

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Last year I smoked occasionally outside when it was warm enough. or sometimes when it was damn cold. This year I'll be in a place where I can smoke inside.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Well...it was nice here (central Alberta) until yesterday when 5" of white stuff fell - first snow of the season. It dropped from 10C to -10C. I was out in the pasture for a while with a pipe. Although I don't consider -10C cold, wind is the big factor. A calm sunny winter day with freezing temps is quite enjoyable.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I usually smoke in my car, so I crank up the heat, crack the window and smoke on my 20 min commute to work. But if it is supper cold like below -10 F I will skip the smoke, or if my window freezes shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.