PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is it bad to stand the cigars up on their foot? (I have deep cedar drawers on the way)
I’m thinking this may be the best way to fit them in there and still have access without getting a bunch of extra cedar lift-out trays.

Reactions: JOHN72
Is it bad to stand the cigars up on their foot? (I have deep cedar drawers on the way)
I’m thinking this may be the best way to fit them in there and still have access without getting a bunch of extra cedar lift-out trays.
I have a couple of overflow Humidors which stack the cigars vertically. Never faced a problem, but these are overflow humidors- cigars live in them only for a very short time.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
So long as you're gentle and not jostling them around (causing cracks at the foot), you're fine.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
As a side note. I can’t recommend wineadors.com
Dude has been jacking me around on some custom shelves. It’s about to the point of getting irritating.

unless you have to be fancy - plastic tubs with heartfelt beads works as good as any expensive humidor/wineador, etc. Grab a couple nylon sleeves for the beads, toss in the boxes, bundles and cigars... make sure it’s a locking lid on the tub. And voila - excellent for aging/storing perfect cigars. I check my beads quarterly for moisture level and leave tubs stacked in the basement.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
unless you have to be fancy - plastic tubs with heartfelt beads works as good as any expensive humidor/wineador, etc. Grab a couple nylon sleeves for the beads, toss in the boxes, bundles and cigars... make sure it’s a locking lid on the tub. And voila - excellent for aging/storing perfect cigars. I check my beads quarterly for moisture level and leave tubs stacked in the basement.
Already got that. I need more room and our house came with a wine fridge we don’t use.
it’s also easier to access and see what’s there with the wineador pull out shelves.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Already got that. I need more room and our house came with a wine fridge we don’t use.
it’s also easier to access and see what’s there with the wineador pull out shelves.
Convenience matters. #something.

Reactions: BROBS

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I’ve already got it set up keeping perfect humidity and a bunch of cigars in there. I just need the shelves to fit everything. It’s going on 6 weeks and was supposed to take 3. So I kind of expected to have them by now.
That stinks on the timing. Everything seems to take twice as long and cost three times as much as it should these days... ?‍♂️ Customer service has become liberalized, so, it sucks.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve already got it set up keeping perfect humidity and a bunch of cigars in there. I just need the shelves to fit everything. It’s going on 6 weeks and was supposed to take 3. So I kind of expected to have them by now.
Crap, how hard would it be to just make ‘em? Are they cedar? I get how shit can happen when making custom items, but a customer should always be kept in the loop and given an out when crap happens. Not good business to jack anyone around and keep stalling someone.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
BROBS, I hope this helps but YMMV.

I've had two wineador for a long time. There was some trial and error involved in getting them stable but they've been dialed in for years now. I'm old and can't even remember where I got the shelving or the units themselves it's been that long. The contents of the drawers are randomly piled in there to answer your question.

My set up. I sealed the backs off, no air exchange at all unless the front door's open. I don't run power to them, they are static but live in my basement were they stay cool all year. This doesn't work in warmer climates. I do have some computer fans in the bottom wired to a timer that kicks every couple of hours for thirty minutes and stir the air. I could fit a lot more cigars and boxes in them but I don't like over crowding as it prevents the circulation. I use 4 of the large Boveda in each, 320 gram 65%. Occasionally, I'll toss in a 66% if I'm in them a lot or want them to come back to humidity faster. I probably don't need to use that many.

Before I sealed them I had good humidity levels but I would get actual condensation build up and pooling in the bottom of them when I was running actual power to cool them, lucky for me I don't need that feature. Watch for mold and move your sticks around occasionally. I should rotate the shelves a lot more than I do.

Most of my cigar stock is held in plastic sealed totes which I actually prefer for long term storage but I have had these and they work great too.

Attachments

• dors.jpg
    dors.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 4
  • data.jpg
    data.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 4
  • fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 4
  • timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 4

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That stinks on the timing. Everything seems to take twice as long and cost three times as much as it should these days... ?‍♂️ Customer service has become liberalized, so, it sucks.
less competition in a lot fields. You only have to be better then the other guys. Additional to that people have no idea how long a lot of things take and won't say yes to a realistic estimate but will continue to wait a few extra weeks. Sadly I've had good luck saying I don't care how long it takes but I want to have a realistic knowledge of how long I'll wait. :(. Sadly it's like that because like I said being honest up front is more damaging to business then making a customer wait longer then expected. The one exception seems to be with food.

Reactions: JKoD

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Crap, how hard would it be to just make ‘em? Are they cedar? I get how shit can happen when making custom items, but a customer should always be kept in the loop and given an out when crap happens. Not good business to jack anyone around and keep stalling someone.
It’s Spanish cedar which is hard to come by/expensive... especially in big enough sizes for the shelves i need. This guy had good looking work and reasonable prices so I just had him make them.

It’s also a pain to work with for a humidor because everything has to be glued rather than nailed since it’s inside such a humid environment.

Then of course searching his name and business after waiting I see all sorts of horror stories about him. Guess hindsight is 20/20. ?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.