PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do what I can to keep the turbulence from crossing the top of the bowl, wind cap, fingers cupped to force the flow up and away, whatever it takes as long as I can continue my work. Sometimes I simply put the pipe, lit, into my jacket pocket for minute white using both hands on the camera.

Yup. Wind caps are useless above about 10-12 knots (say 15 mph or so). So the hand, or any small flat object placed squarely over the chamber works fine. Especially after the first light, where the heat can scorch fingers.

Reactions: anotherbob

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Certainly it takes away from smoking time and some flavour, however since I started smoking every day I've a daily ritual where I smoke while walking our dog. I used to HATE smoking outside because it felt like a chore but now I like it, especially today which is a very clear, crisp and chilly evening (0 degrees C) after days of wind, rain and sleet.

What's almost counter-intuitive, and your post reminded me, is that if I do something else while smoking I tend to enjoy it more. Maybe it is a byproduct of being forced to smoke slower.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Love it Joe. My wife actually invited me to smoke in the house. I told her that we did not want the house to smell like an ashtray. My main reason for this is my garage is my sanctuary. She is now noticing that the garage smells quite wonderful. Not sure how much longer this plan will work!
I know if my lady let me smoke in the house that be a problem. I'd not get that wonderful alone time with the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.