PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I've never relighted the pipe thru the holes. I removed them, when I did use them, but be careful, they do get hot. Now I only use them to snuff a bowl. I put some silicone over the holes of the cap and put it on the bowl to put out the embers. Works great for those times when you need to put out a bowl real fast.
Yeah this cap is getting pretty hot. I think its better suited to preload bowls and carry in my pocket.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I have not yet owned a pipe with a permanent and hinged wind cap, but I think I would like that style for ease of relighting. The pressure for caps I have a few of are good but I never plan for a relight with them for the reason others suggest for heat. But they can be useful in windy conditions when I am using my hands for some tasks I am doing and simply palming over the bowl would not be convienent.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I use wind caps from time to time. They do get hot but I also slow down when I use them. I remove the cap to relight. You in a hurry? Got a big date? Slow down and enjoy the ride kid.
lol I see your point, but I sometimes never ash a bowl and tamp maybe 3 or 4 times. I do engage in conversation, and do stuff, so relights can add up. It's an inconvenience to remove the cap over and over. It's all about how you enjoy the pipe. I dont enjoy fiddling with the cap that often.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I own a few antique pipe equipped with wind caps, like this one:

W9I9CK1.jpg

They look great, but I find them a pain in the ass. On the few occasions I smoke one of them, the cap is up, because the pipe smokes hotter when the wind cap is closed

Thanks! I have 4 antique windcap pipes and yes, they all do smoke hotter with the cap down. Maybe people just didn't much care. The main purpose was to keep cinders from the pipe blowing onto upholstery or clothing. They do that very well.
^^^^ This

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon