PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Quick question about wind caps. I got a cheapy universal one. I just wanted to ask before possibly ruining it because its reallllllly cheap. Can I relight through the top or do I need to remove it for every relight?

This is my first one and I don't wanna scorch it permanently, or burn the holes threw when simply asking can avoid that. Thanks.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never thought about that since I don't use one and never had a reason to use one. But I would imagine as the top of the tobacco goes down towards the bottom, you might have to remove it sooner or later.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
The problem with these cheap wind caps (I have one) is that even if you relight through them you have to remove it every time you tamp (and you have to tamp), which is why I find them cumbersome.
I do have a pipe with a fixed wind cup which I can just open and close without removing it and it works beautifully.
I am looking for a wind cap which works in the same way and can be moved from one pipe to another but I haven't found one yet, I am thinking to have one made custom made if I can find a capable artisan.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
The problem with these cheap wind caps (I have one) is that even if you relight through them you have to remove it every time you tamp (and you have to tamp), which is why I find them cumbersome.
I do have a pipe with a fixed wind cup which I can just open and close without removing it and it works beautifully.
I am looking for a wind cap which works in the same way and can be moved from one pipe to another but I haven't found one yet, I am thinking to have one made custom made if I can find a capable artisan.
That's what I wanted to I don't think they exist. I looked everywhere. You're right about tamping too, but when you need to tamp and youre talking a lot doing a lot of relights it gets even more annoying than just a tamp 2 or 3 times maybe 4.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Im
Quick question about wind caps. I got a cheapy universal one. I just wanted to ask before possibly ruining it because its reallllllly cheap. Can I relight through the top or do I need to remove it for every relight?

This is my first one and I don't wanna scorch it permanently, or burn the holes threw when simply asking can avoid that. Thanks.
I also just had another concern of possibly getting the cap too hot and burning the top of my pipes that I have of different materials, cobs, briar, pear, so on, or even causing a hot bowl.

Reactions: anotherbob

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Without knowing which wind cap you are referring to, it's tough to answer, Wind caps serve a specific purpose and also require some care in use. I use them often as my photography requires me to be out in all weather. I prefer cupping my hand to deflect breezes and winds.

I lift the the cap when it's hinged or remove it, depending on the design, for tamping, I tamp with my finger and open or remove for relighting. The wind cap you are probably referring to causes the wind to move across the grid and will over-heat the tobacco without something deflecting the wind. Always wise to keep a hand positioned so as to deflect above the grid and reduce the overheating somewhat. Once I'm setup, camera and tripod, I can usually control the camera while holding the pipe in such a manner to keep the ember manageable. Wind caps and their use is entirely second nature to me now. There is a learning curve.

It's much easier to keep the hand more or less deflecting the wind while you try to keep the wind at your back. A wind cap, while sometimes required, is just another piece of equipment, often used when other actions can better handle the problem. At least in my experience. Sometimes a cap is the answer. Mostly hand position and an awareness of where the wind is coming from is sufficient

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Without knowing which wind cap you are referring to, it's tough to answer, Wind caps serve a specific purpose and also require some care in use. I use them often as my photography requires me to be out in all weather. I prefer cupping my hand to deflect breezes and winds.

I lift the the cap when it's hinged or remove it, depending on the design, for tamping, I tamp with my finger and open or remove for relighting. The wind cap you are probably referring to causes the wind to move across the grid and will over-heat the tobacco without something deflecting the wind. Always wise to keep a hand positioned so as to deflect above the grid and reduce the overheating somewhat. Once I'm setup, camera and tripod, I can usually control the camera while holding the pipe in such a manner to keep the ember manageable. Wind caps and their use is entirely second nature to me now. There is a learning curve.

It's much easier to keep the hand more or less deflecting the wind while you try to keep the wind at your back. A wind cap, while sometimes required, is just another piece of equipment, often used when other actions can better handle the problem. At least in my experience. Sometimes a cap is the answer. Mostly hand position and an awareness of where the wind is coming from is sufficient
Good info! The cap im referring to is a cheap Amazon wind cap spring universal fit. I just don't wanna scotch it or hurt the pipe by relighting with out removing it.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I own a few antique pipe equipped with wind caps, like this one:

W9I9CK1.jpg

They look great, but I find them a pain in the ass. On the few occasions I smoke one of them, the cap is up, because the pipe smokes hotter when the wind cap is closed.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

W9I9CK1.jpg

They look great, but I find them a pain in the ass. On the few occasions I smoke one of them, the cap is up, because the pipe smokes hotter when the wind cap is closed.
I find that personally I have to really know if I am using the cap or not before packing the pipe. It changes the way it smokes to such a degree. Which works because I know that where I smoke most days is always windy. Great devices if you know you're going to need it.
Also to properly smoke that pipe you need one of those old motor cars from the same time period. As well as all the proper driving kit (watch Jeeves and Wooster for proper reference).

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
I think I know the one you are referring to, yes you can try relight through the cap it shouldn’t harm it, when it gets gunged with gunk just soak it in iso propyl alcohol and clean with a brush, no it shouldn’t ever get hot enough to burn the rim

Reactions: Coreios
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea

W9I9CK1.jpg

Jesse,
Do all of your Barlings, with wind caps, smoke hot? I only ask, since the one you posted in the picture has the vents facing aft, but I've seen some with vents on the top of the cap.

Great looking pipe, by the way.

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY

Good question! I have no idea since ive never used one, lol but good question.

Reactions: Coreios

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've never relighted the pipe thru the holes. I removed them, when I did use them, but be careful, they do get hot. Now I only use them to snuff a bowl. I put some silicone over the holes of the cap and put it on the bowl to put out the embers. Works great for those times when you need to put out a bowl real fast.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse,
Do all of your Barlings, with wind caps, smoke hot? I only ask, since the one you posted in the picture has the vents facing aft, but I've seen some with vents on the top of the cap.

Great looking pipe, by the way.
Thanks! I have 4 antique windcap pipes and yes, they all do smoke hotter with the cap down. Maybe people just didn't much care. The main purpose was to keep cinders from the pipe blowing onto upholstery or clothing. They do that very well.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man