PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
My wife bought me a wind cap from Pipes and Cigars a few weeks ago, since I always bring it with us on walks. It's great for when my pipe is pocketed, keeps the tobacco and ash from lining the inside of my jacket. However, I've been having trouble actually keeping my pipe lit while smoking with it attached. I can't really tell if it's me, or if it might be that the air holes aren't letting enough air through to keep the ember going. Anyone have any advice on this?
Here's the cap, for reference: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tools/79695/heavy-duty-wind-cap/#p-137749

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is what I use although yours should work fine. like anything else it may take practice to maximize performance. Stay with it and you'll be fine.
http://www.smokershaven.com/pipewindcap.aspx

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
You do have to sip more on the pipe to keep it going with a cap on. I have a hard time smoking with one on also.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I sometimes tilt the wind cap to get a more open draft. Also I will get the bowl going well before adding the wind cap.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
As buster said, get a good ember and then seat the cap. That practice has made all the difference for me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
keeps the tobacco and ash from lining the inside of my jacket.
To begin with, I really don't enjoy smoking in the wind so I have no need for the cap, but if you just want to keep your pockets clean you could pop it out whenever your going to smoke and pop it back on before puting the pipe back in your pocket.
Just a thought, as I've never used a cap.
You may also consider a pipe sock.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
when I started pipe smoking a few years ago, I used to pack the bowls to the rim, it resulted in a stray ember landing on and burning a hole in a nightie. A good one too. I found that wildcats prevented that kind of thing from happening, now I always use them indoors and outdoors, besides, there's the pocket storage benefits.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
That's a well trained wild cat you've got there, bud ;)
Seriously though, thank you guys for responding. I've tried it a few more times, but actually getting the pipe going for a minute or two before adding the wind cap. It seems that waiting until the ember "sinks" has helped clear the issue. It was putting the pipe out before anything really caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.