PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
image.jpgimage.jpg
I have two Willard Pipes. This one is a a Dublin and my other is an old full bend smoked by my father for years and years. The yellow dot pipe with a stinger was made by Dr. Grabow and many of them were made available to our soldiers during the Vietnam war. I remember them being sold at Grandpa Pidgins in Bridgeton, Missouri when I was much younger. That’s where my dad got his. Are you a Willard pipe lover or collector? Let’s see yours. How are they holding up?

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Here is a pic of my grandfather's old Willard from the 60s/70s (not exactly sure). I've had the stem replaced so no more dot, but it's a fine smoker and has been my regular pipe for many years. I really love the odd flame-type designs on the bowl. It kind of reminds me of The Lord of the Rings.

These can be had for a song on eBay. I need to collect some more...

Attachments

• willard.jpg
    willard.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: telescopes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a Willard of two somewhere in my embarrassingly large stash of pipes, probably at our farm.

Like every other modern factory pipe a Willard is a hunk of artfully shaped Mediterranean briar attached to a hard rubber stem. It’s sort of a name brand generic pipe.:)

They were the cheapest Grabow, and Grabow specialized in cheap, serviceable pipes. Most Willards I’ve seen have seen happier days. Few were treasured gifts, it seems.

I’ve searched without result for one vintage advertisement for Willard pipes.

Once broken in they’d smoke just as well as more expensive brand names stamped on a pipe.

Reactions: milk and telescopes

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I’ve seen some Willards on eBay in good shape for ridiculously low prices. Mine is a good smoker so I might add another at some point. So many pipes…

Reactions: telescopes