PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Honest, again, I really do like it now. Not sure I ever disliked it and I apologize for that. I lumped all blends with "Latakia" in it- together.
I tried my first which was that "Countryside" by Boswell and blech not to mention my wife who has become acclimated to being in the same room could not stand it at all (the smell that is).
I have smoked about 4 others since and I am fine with them.
I will say I either need to me in the mood which would normally be late night or work up to it say from a VaPer depending on how heavy it is.

I have smoke "Pete's Beard" which I thought would be a Latakia bomb but did not phase me. I thought it to be a good one based on reviews and what I read. I like it so hey.

I still prefer VaPer's if I am going to blow through 2-3 bowls. I have a fast cadence and I cannot seem to help that.
Perhaps because I cannot smoke as often as I would like or simply take breaks.

Looking forward to getting a new pipe soon.

I need to figure out if this other one I bought online is a junker which I have spent a bit of time fixing up or not. Shall post separate on that one.

Thx all.
And no "hard" feelings about the balls post though if you know me- I always have to respond to a jab at me. Just me.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
It's tough when a loved furry companion passes over.
My beautiful Rotti boy still visits me in the astral when I'm asleep. He passed nearly 15 years ago yet I still think of him daily with a smile. He'll be waiting for me when it's my time. Love is an unbreakable bond.

My first taste of Latakia was a generous sample of Becks ol' Bastard from 4noggins.
The description I gave on the bag-note was 'burnt rubber, asphalt & butt', lol.
Thinking, 'do people smoke this stuff?' I had to give it a try. Didn't taste half as bad as it smelt.
Mixing it 50/50 with Windsail Virginia, I enjoyed one small bowl every night. Two bowls was one bowl too many.

Now a couple of years on, I quite enjoy blends with latakia where it's used as a condiment.
Lat-bombs eventually destroy many smokers appreciation for the stuff I think.

Mixing in a little Windsail Virginia [or an un-topped Burley] works a treat.
A nice change of pace is mixing an English blend with an aromatic. My latest concoction is London Squire mixed 50/50 with Mark Twain which makes a very tasty blend.
I find myself tweaking tobacco blends also. Perhaps that is in poor taste but it works out sometimes when I have a pinch of one or another left.
If it's an aromatic I figure what is there to be lost?
Now and then I will throw some "real" tobacco in with my aromatic to give it more of a smoke.
Never know what mood one may be in

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I find myself tweaking tobacco blends also. Perhaps that is in poor taste but it works out sometimes when I have a pinch of one or another left.
If it's an aromatic I figure what is there to be lost?
Now and then I will throw some "real" tobacco in with my aromatic to give it more of a smoke.
Never know what mood one may be in
"in poor taste"? No, not at all.
The best blend is the one that YOU like to smoke.
Adjusting a blend to suit your taste is sensible as far as I'm concerned.

When I was building a stash it made way more sense to order by the pound. [Whenever I ordered ounces or by the tin most got picked up by Customs] So I depended on the tobacco review website when ordering blends that I had not ever tried before [I hope @jiminks knows just how valuable his reviews are for novices like myself - I really appreciate your efforts & your refined palate Jim. Thank-you]

Now & again I'd choose a blend that was good but not quite right for my personal tastes.
For example; Holiday Match is a really nice blend but it's just a bit too 'earthy' [Burley fans should love HM]
Sutliff #310 Modern English is a very tasty blend but it heats my mouth up. [I'm susceptible to bite]

Blending the two 50/50 has given me a superb blend that suits me to a tee. Although I can taste the Burley the 'earthy' taste has vanished & I could smoke bowl after bowl without even a hint of bite.
It's one of my favourite 'all day' blends. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Purists might think it's 'in poor taste' but to be perfectly honest, who cares? I smoke for my pleasure. : )

Reactions: JimInks
Status
Not open for further replies.