PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
So I found out I either detest or need to grow up to smoke English blends perhaps. I did not do well with Boswell's Countryside. It tasted like a stick out of my campfire. I just bought a few blends like Pete's Beard, Quiet Nights, Hearth & Home Larry's Blend- and more!
WTH was I thinking? I did not realize that Latakia is "interesting" even to big old stogie smokers as I once was.
Guess they stay in the humidor over Christmas as I have to choose what to take to the cabin.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
What Sandollars said. Put them away for some time, and revisit. I had picked up a a couple ozs of Shepard's Pie from The Country Squire (an English blend). Smoked a few bowls of if. IT was horrible! Tasted like dirty socks. Put it in the back of the shelf for about a year. Based on an exchanged with anther guy here, I pulled it out not long ago and low and behold, I really enjoyed it.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Cute dog, BTW.... Cavalier?
That was probably my best girlfriend- Natasha, who past over Christmas (not this one obviously). She's a Bernese Mountain Dog from about 8 weeks for 12 years. Before they became the cool breed to own.
I've dont know one person that met her and did not love that doggie.
I highly suggest the breed if you are in a cold environment and you or family will be always around. They prefer people to dogs.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's possible if not likely your tastes will evolve. So be patient. Try some different stuff. Not all blend with Latakia have an over whelming Latakia flavor. I find Quiet Nights to be like that. I'm not a Latakia fan but find Quiet Nights delightful.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Everyone has said your tastes change over time. I’ve found this to be true. Example I like Va/Pers more and more. Part of that is in learning how to smoke Virginias and some is my tastes are growing/changing.

Me, I’ve always detested Lakelands. Member @BROBS has convinced me to give them a re-visit as it’s been a few years. Lots of people love them so perhaps I’m ready ??‍♂️. Will be taking the plunge again soon.

But yes: stick them back for a while and re-visit.

Keep us informed! I’m always curious to find blends that people discover that are ‘off the beaten path.’

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
You probably won't hate them, the palate can and will change.
I made the same "mistake" but it was worse, I got CD Da Vinci, GL Pease Odyssey and some others with a ridiculously big percentage of Latakia which I don't like too much unless it's dosed really moderately. No harm done, they will wait in the cellar for another few years or even decades if necessary.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I went from loving Latakia for a very long time to not being a fan. Any blend that has more than a condiment amount of it tastes exactly the same to me now. Still may be going the way of the dinosaur so if you like it buy it now.

Last edited:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Sorry to hear about your dog's passing.

The good news is Quiet Nights and Larry's Blend are both very well loved blends so you shouldn't have trouble recouping most of your money if you bought them online.

I do second the idea of keeping some to revisit, but if you don't like Latakia, you will probably not like those tobaccos.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Sorry to hear about your dog's passing.

The good news is Quiet Nights and Larry's Blend are both very well loved blends so you shouldn't have trouble recouping most of your money if you bought them online.

I do second the idea of keeping some to revisit, but if you don't like Latakia, you will probably not like those tobaccos.
Thx. I still get upset over "Natasha". Most doggie lovers go thru that mess.
I am wondering if I should pop open "Quiet Nights" and try it.
Larry's is in a 2 oz bag. If I smoke some Larry- is that a good comparison?
Thx a ton

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thx. I still get upset over "Natasha". Most doggie lovers go thru that mess.
I am wondering if I should pop open "Quiet Nights" and try it.
Larry's is in a 2 oz bag. If I smoke some Larry- is that a good comparison?
Thx a ton

I’m with @hoosierpipeguy and @danimalia on GL Pease’s Quiet Nights. I will cry when the FDA strikes it down. I’m a tad reluctant to recommend it as it does have some Lat taste, but it’s not overpowering or “front and center” at all. It’s easily one of my top three all time favorite blends, no question. I have dedicated a briar to it.

Again though if you’re Lat sensitive...

I can’t speak to “Larry’s,” sorry.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I’m with @hoosierpipeguy and @danimalia on GL Pease’s Quiet Nights. I will cry when the FDA strikes it down. I’m a tad reluctant to recommend it as it does have some Lat taste, but it’s not overpowering or “front and center” at all. It’s easily one of my top three all time favorite blends, no question. I have dedicated a briar to it.

Again though if you’re Lat sensitive...

I can’t speak to “Larry’s,” sorry.
I guess I am not up on the f'd up DA is doing- FDA and "Quiet Nights"? Nicotine bill or some mess?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I guess I am not up on the f'd up DA is doing- FDA and "Quiet Nights"? Nicotine bill or some mess?

GLP introduced Quiet Nights after the FDA cut off date. If/When the FDA law goes into affect, Quiet Nights could no longer be sold. Along with a host of other great blends. I agree with diamondback, it would be a shame. Just one more reason to be cellaring blends you like.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
They're not that similar to me. Larry's Blend is quite a bit fuller in Latakia and Orientals. Agree with Diamondback that if you are going to try one, go for Quiet Nights. If the Latakia is too unpleasant for you in that one, Larry's will almost certainly be as well. I like them both. Each comes from one of the best blenders in the business.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
They're not that similar to me. Larry's Blend is quite a bit fuller in Latakia and Orientals. Agree with Diamondback that if you are going to try one, go for Quiet Nights. If the Latakia is too unpleasant for you in that one, Larry's will almost certainly be as well. I like them both. Each comes from one of the best blenders in the business.
Any thoughts on "Pete's Beard"? Wasn't cheap and is unopened in a jar (pricey at my local tobacconist). I feel I should try them all but darn if I will hate it out of the gate. I bought what I bought based on reviews I looked at without knowing that Latakia is funky to some of us- well me anyways so far.
I am itching to trying the new stuff I got as of TODAY. But....

Status
Not open for further replies.