PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I think this was my last year coaching high school lacrosse. I barely recognize the game anymore. It makes me sick.

A bunch of people that never even played the sport have taken over and now want to change how the sport is played.

It's for our own good.

Gee, thanks.
It used to be a real warrior sport. Countless times over the past few years I've seen refs penalize a player for "aggressive play" or hitting too hard or some other made up rule. The strong, fast aggressive 205 pound kid who is playing his heart out completely by the rules needs to yield so someone's 128 pound kid can "participate" on a varsity team without earning it and without being afraid.
It's a contact sport. There are other leagues. Everyone should not get to play varsity. Everyone can't be the band leader. Everyone can't be the lead role in the play?! Everyone can't get first place in a race.
They're not going to stop until almost all of the contact and physical competition is gone.
...and they'll still have the nerve to call is lacrosse.
It is what it is.
You can now make honor role with two C's on your report card.

You can graduate with a .6 --- a point six. That's four tenths of a point less than a D.

A gym teacher lost their job last year for allowing a group of 30 boys to play dodge ball.

You can tell your teacher to F___ off to their face with no consequence as long as you have a documented case of oppositional defiance disorder or a mood disorder.
Warren is right.

The world is changing.

There will be rule changes.

Youth sports will be run by the gestapo.

...but
There are BILLION of dollars tied up in pro sports/college sports.

It's not going away.

May 4, 2015
Lucky dog. Hint for those with modest supplies: a plastic ziploc-type bag over your hands will do almost as well.
Much more expensive per unit. Grab a box of unpowdered gloves from CVS or the like. It'll change your life in the kitchen.
And it's very satisfying to watch a husky/malamute demolish a whole chicken. Sort of feels like the way it should be. No corn, wheat or rice for this dog!

May 4, 2015
Lasttango, your arguments are well articulated and making everyone equal is a different argument than what we are taking about here. The real point is promoting activities that lead to long-term injuries. Not an apples to apples argument and we're not discussing sissification, really.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
One of my sons is an offensive line coach for a high school team and they spend a lot of time educating the coaching staff and the players on how to play safer. They drill on proper tackling techniques every practice day to reduce the incidents of head and other injuries. His head coach believes that the problems start in college because colleges don't take the same time on teaching proper technique. It continues in pro football because they don't practice it at all because of contract rules. At my son's school, players have been sent to the sidelines and lose playing time if they are caught using their helmet as a weapon. The coaches don't tolerate it. In the past some school coaches taught and encourage it. In the early 70s, I had a high school coach who rewarded us for "putting the hat" on an opposing player.
On top of that, as the players progress from high school to college to NFL, the size and speed of the players increase. Most high schools don't have 300+ lbs. linemen or 250 lb. running backs with blazing speed. Size and speed at impact can have a dramatic impact on injuries.
In my opinion, the biggest danger in high school football is not head injuries these days but in torn ACL/MCLs, and shoulder injuries requiring injuries. Those injuries may not prevent a student from playing in college, but they can be a disqualifying factor if the student should try to enlist in the military or attend a military academy.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I think there can be an alternative course that will boost protective gear technology - once of course it proves itself to be a money maker or cost effective. The speed of research is always dependent on the customer demand. Right now, the NFL and College teams are "ok" with current technology. Once helmets are designed to diffuse blunt force before it reaches the skull, and remain usable play-after-play, many sports will see improvements. There just hasn't been a big motivator for teams/leagues to mandate better equipment; cost is always a factor.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
No, It will change to Flag Football.
If it was up to the Manning's that would be the case.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/youth-football-concussions-can-be-prevented-ask-archie-manning-and-tom-brady-sr-how/2013/10/02/5e2820aa-2b85-11e3-8ade-a1f23cda135e_story.html?utm_term=.aa018f3a19f0
I can tell you with hockey that USA Hockey changed the checking age from 11 to 13 to try and help reduce the concussion rate. My son was just 11 when they introduced this rule and he didn't mind waiting two more years to start checking.
Unfortunately in high school it becomes a testosterone fulled melee. It usually starts with one questionable hit and then the game just turns to shit. Some ref's are good enough to nip it in the bud but some just let it go on. Sometimes to the point where the teams are fighting on the ice or kids are getting taken off the ice injured.
I do have to say though that the high school takes concussions seriously and have mandatory cognitive testing before you can play any contact sports and they have a concussion management team. If you're suspected of having a concussion you need to go through their IMPACT testing again and they compare it to your baseline results.
I don't know if colleges do the same thing or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.