PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
A study of over 100 brains of ex-football players revealed that playing football at any level virtually guarantees irreparable brain injury.
I'm not one to raise my son as a "sissy" or anything of the sort, but football is simply not an option after considering the risks. I understand every sport has its risks of injury, but 99% of studied samples indicated brain damage? 87% at ANY level of play? The chance of serious injury isn't even comparable.
With all of this data coming to light, how much longer will football survive as an American institution?
99% of Studied NFL Players Diagnosed with CTE

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
American Football cannot survive, the statistics on head trauma are frightening. I believe they will find CTE to some degree, in nearly all men who played Football at any level from Pop Warner on up. I think it will morph into something closer to Australian rules football or Rugby. These both have plenty of contact and pile-ups with no where near as much head trauma. I played Football in high school and loved it and think it was an important part of establishing my character. That being said, I wouldn't let my child play football today, knowing what we do now about head trauma. I think that they will find that the head trauma begins to accumulate as soon as children start full contact. It saddens me that we are going to lose parts of the sport, but it saddens me more to think of the hundreds of thousands of men out there, likely including myself, that have some degree of CTE.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Head trauma is a hot topic here in the UK for rugby. With people really worried for the sport.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Are you talking about that game where guys try to hit a little black disk through a hoop with wooden bats while riding ice-skating horses? And they can't use their hands but can bounce it off their heads?
I like that one.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Boxers go through the same thing. I think if adults want to make their living as gladiators and the risks are known, let em. This does raise the question of high school sports and where the NFL will get it's players if football is banned in schools.

May 4, 2015
^ the risks are just becoming known, or at least more publicly. The NFL has been aware of long-term damage for quite some time and has chosen to ignore, downplay or outright deny it. They'll get sued in to bankruptcy sooner than later so who knows.
As far as high school sports are concerned, football should be erased, in my opinion.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm with Phantomwolf. If dumb jocks want to pummel each other into a stupor for money, let them. There will never be a recruitment shortage, especially if public universities are allowed to continue funding farm teams for the NFL. Besides, without the NFL, where will all our used-car salesmen come from?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Forget head injuries...football will be obsolete as soon as the first Running Man style, Gladiator, fight-to-the-death reality TV game show debuts.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

With all of this data coming to light, how much longer will football survive as an American institution?
The game of football will probably be around forever and the changes already implemented will continue to grow. The game is much different than it was even 4 or 5 years ago. I'd be surprised if the game goes away, but there may be so many new rules to protect players that it becomes tough to watch.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
hobie1dog: I feel similarly, but I hope to see the day when people don't make 100+ million$ contracts for movies, sports, etc.
My sports heroes and fav actors made a pittance compared to these guys, even considering inflation. Yet those stars lived fairly well and enjoyed the sport or movies they were in.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Speaking of being ridiculous amounts of money. Here locally the Charlotte Panthers had a kicker that made 18 kicks one year (I guess he got injured) but he got 18 million that year. Something is really wrong. We can go 200 miles away to the Appalachian communities and see abject poverty here in the US. Time for me to shut up....lol

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What will the universities replace the lost income with?
What will Vegas do to replace the lost income?
TV?
Pro Football and college ball aren't going anywhere! I say that much as I decry the gentrification of the game. Billions in lost incomes? I don't think so.
Besides, another study will come along disputing the methodology and findings of the study cited in the OP.
The human race would have to be eliminated to eliminate violence. People love the spectacle sports. Stand in line and pay big moneys to see such. It's in our DNA. We, as a species, love confrontation, physical and otherwise. Next thing some will want is the end of armed combat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Football gear and rules will likely be adjusted to attempt to minimize the damage. Contact sports do a lot of good funneling off aggressive energy. Boxing gyms are therapy for neighborhoods that otherwise are fatally violent. Rugby, hockey, soccer/football, skiing, etc. etc. all keep the orthopedic surgeons and neurologists busy. So it's a balancing act, trying to save the brain cells while not having the young dudes offed in a gang war or brawl. Funny that the least risky sports like tennis and golf sometimes have the highest exhibits of rage. Gymnasts, male and female, seem pretty calm. Competitive weight lifters are often magnanimous, all fighting the same gravitational force I guess.

May 4, 2015
Besides, another study will come along disputing the methodology and findings of the study cited in the OP.
Doubtful. It's become fairly indisputable that repeated head trauma isn't good for you. That's barely defensible without physically studying brain specimens.
As far as Vegas, they'll always find something else to bet on.

May 4, 2015
What will the universities replace the lost income with?
I don't know. Maybe they could focus on something more important like... educating people? Certainly wouldn't break my heart to see high schools a little more concerned with it instead of being pipelines for University athletics.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The universities aren't going to change what and how they teach the students. That's a social not a monetary problem. But, when you see schools striving to get into conferences with big TV monies you understand they want/need the moneys to cover costs for those students unable to afford college along and the "free-ride" jocks. Also, professors want more money available so they can teach less, research and publish more while the TAs handle the classroom duties. Deans and other administrators do not want to have to forgo private planes, university funded soirees, large, staffed residences, etc.
There are many fine universities and colleges without sports programs. But, they keep student numbers down, have minimal scholarships, and are focused. But, the schools "living large" must tap all available money sources.
Also, reading the article regarding the trauma, the study is very narrow and focused on dead athletes. Head trauma comes in all shapes and sizes, falling off one's bicycle, a car wreck, falling down, a low rafter, falling out of bed, slipping in the shower, etc. can all contribute. So, the studies will have to widen focus in order to arrive at any solid conclusions with regard head trauma. Simply studying football players doesn't really allow for any conclusion other than; some football players suffer from brain damage which may have been caused by football alone.
A study of only cigarettes smokers would result in the conclusion that all cigarette smokers will die. Much as all people who ate carrots a two hundred years ago have died. Ergo, eating carrots will kill you. These "studies" are rush jobs, hurried in an effort to publish before others, and as such should always be viewed with a jaundiced eye. Consider them for sure, just do not panic and give them more weight than they merit at the time of issue. Conclusions may change or be supported over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.