PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
What's up with Wilke? I have been trying to buy some Surbrugs Bestmake and I get some Waiting for Credit Card Compliance message. This has been going on a while now. I've been taking my business elsewhere in the meantime.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I am not certain, but I believe I received an email from them a week or so stating that they are working on their website and that all orders must be done via telephone call. I’ll double check.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ah it stated (this is from 12/01):

“Place your order on the site and we will call for payment we are updating a new Payment Process!”

Perhaps they’re still having some technical issues with the new payment process.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I'll second that, call them up! Great you nice as well, great customer service. I was placing my order and they let me know that there was going to be a sale soon and explained to me that they would wait and put it through the next day so that I could get the sale price!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's nice and all but I'm deaf so I can't use the phone.

Waaaaay off topic, but I hope you won't mind this question:

I watched There Will be Blood last night, and there was an explosion which deafened a boy, about ten. When the movie jumps forward he's in his twenties, and one scene shows him talking with his (very drunk) father, using an interpreter, signing all the time. But would not a deaf person be able to read the lips of a close associate? And would he not speak to him s well?

There are also reasons in the movie, perhaps, why the son kept this distance from his (shitty) father. He could indeed speak all right, and did so after much prodding and abuse from the father.

Please pardon the interruption, and I hope I am not out of line foisting this question on you.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My daughter is deaf but not from birth. She began to lose her hearing at age 4. She was almost totaly deaf by 16. The difference is that as she gradually lost her hearing she compensated by naturally reading lips. If deaf from birth is a different situation...

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
No, it's not out of line at all. I lost my hearing in the army and I'm legally deaf not totally deaf. A rocket propelled grenade hit too close to me, twice. I don't even remember the second one.

So to answer your question, I didn't have the trauma of being born deaf or losing my hearing at an early age, nor did I have a shitty dad. I know sign but I don't use it as I get by well enough.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, both of you.

Well, the kid was around ten in the movie when the methane from the oil well ignited in a grand explosion. (Sorry it's a bit close to what you, crawdad, experienced!) I guess there was 'artistic license'. And it was in character that the shit head father played so well by Daniel Day Lewis didn't bother learning any signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.